4 wire induction motor conection

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hi everyone.

I got this motor in a junk yard. It is a Permanent Split-Capacitor Motor

It has 4 connections, I leave a diagram. The red part, I´m not sure, but this wires goes to the coils for sure.

The question is, as I understand connections 2 and 3 are the same no? I supose that, but I ask because they have independent pins in the socket. 1 and 4 gives different rotation direction when are connected with 2 or 3, but there is no difference between 2 or 3, no velocity change.

So, are 2 and 3 the same? If that is correc, why the have different pins in the socket? I leave more images in case they were useful

Thank you.

Kind regards

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Thanks for your answer. At least for the first half haha. No idea what are you talking in the second half (I have to say I don´t speak english very well...

Ok, but it theyr are the same, why the fabricator put them in different pins?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Ok, but it theyr are the same, why the fabricator put them in different pins?
To make it easier to have the motor turn either direction. So they only need to make one motor of that RPM and horsepower and by changing the pins used in the connector it will fit different machines. If not done like that they would need to make and keep on hand 2 different part numbers. All about saving money in manufacturing.

your own words-
1 and 4 gives different rotation direction when are connected with 2 or 3, but there is no difference between 2 or 3, no velocity change.
Velocity/RPM is changed in induction motors by the pole count of the motor so don't expect a change in velocity.