4 Tesla (40,000 Gauss) Automatic Magnetic Pulser

dadadiouffy

Joined May 4, 2020
Hi
I don't understand the 120VAC supply connection. Does ground from a low voltage circuit be connected with ground/neutral of 120VAC? And one side of the power supply is 120VAC and the other is 12VDC. How is that? and again I have never saw power supply one side is 120VAC and other is 12vdc

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi
I don't understand the 120VAC supply connection. Does ground from a low voltage circuit be connected with ground/neutral of 120VAC? And one side of the power supply is 120VAC and the other is 12VDC. How is that? and again I have never saw power supply one side is 120VAC and other is 12vdc
Only if you have a death wish. Besides converting one AC voltage to another, isolation of DC ground from the AC mains by a transformer is a good thing.

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
I think the power supply symbol they are showing is not complete. I think they are only showing terminals for the input side. I believe it is implied that the output of the power supply is connected to the terminals that show +12V at the bottom and the top right area of the trigger circuit. As far as ground goes, assuming all connections are wired correctly, ground is ground. Always earth potential, so technically the low voltage circuit and the high voltage circuit could be referenced to the same ground though low voltage circuits are generally isolated using a transformer and what they call ground is actually just the side of the power supply with the lowest potential. In the US 120V supply neutral is a grounded conductor, grounded at the power pole. That being said, for safety reasons the neutral conductor is never considered an acceptable ground and it is never acceptable to use the ground as a neutral, even though it should technically work. The diagram is not incorrect but misleading as far as best practices go, and possibly from a country with different electrical standards, as I said a ground would technically work as a neutral and neutral is technically at ground potential. While you could use a ground and a hot to get 120V, grounds are intended to be a non-current carrying conductor for safety use only. If there is EVER current flowing through a ground there is a problem.

The circuit on the left is the trigger circuit, and the circuit on the right is, essentially a voltage pump. It pumps energy from the 120V supply through a rectifier and into the capacitors until it reaches somewhere shy of 1KV. When voltage reaches the desired level the trigger circuit triggers the SCR and discharges the pulse through the air core coil.

AndreyD

Joined Sep 4, 2023
I'm the original designer of this circuit. my name is Andrey D
First of all this circuit is outdated version of the very first circuits i designed for mag pulsers. It was originally designed to be used for 1.4 Tesla Automatic magnetic Pulser BBMPUlser 4B version. Here is the updated version of it https://bbmpulser.org/wp-content/up...tic-Magnetic-Pulser-BBMPulser-4B.-rev-1.1.jpg
while you there, check out my other open source circuits for example 2.4 Tesla bbmpulser 5B circuit
Second. Ground symbol used in this circuit is NOT referring to the chassis ground which is the connection to the earth but rather internal ground (minus) of the circuit. Chassis ground is another 3rd wire which connects only to the chases or metal frame of the Unit.
Yes Im connecting minus from magnetically isolated 12VDC power supply with the neutral from the main. I have to do it in order to trigger thyristor. if i dont connect nimus from 12VDC with the neitral I cant trigger thyristor. triggering circuit and thyristor have to share common internal ground.
1.4-Tesla-14000-Gauss-Automatic-Magnetic-Pulser-BBMPulser-4B.-rev-1.1.jpg

I'm the original designer of this circuit. my name is Andrey D
First of all this circuit is outdated version of the very first circuits i designed for mag pulsers. It was originally designed to be used for 1.4 Tesla Automatic magnetic Pulser BBMPUlser 4B version. Here is the updated version of it https://bbmpulser.org/wp-content/up...tic-Magnetic-Pulser-BBMPulser-4B.-rev-1.1.jpg
while you there, check out my other open source circuits for example 2.4 Tesla bbmpulser 5B circuit
Second. Ground symbol used in this circuit is NOT referring to the chassis ground which is the connection to the earth but rather internal ground (minus) of the circuit. Chassis ground is another 3rd wire which connects only to the chases or metal frame of the Unit.
Yes Im connecting minus from magnetically isolated 12VDC power supply with the neutral from the main. I have to do it in order to trigger thyristor. if i dont connect nimus from 12VDC with the neitral I cant trigger thyristor. triggering circuit and thyristor have to share common internal ground.
View attachment 302073
Hey Andrey! I have checked out several of your designs and was really wondering if you might be able to walk me through them? I think I am starting to wrap my head around what/why you are doing, but could really use some help