4-20mA Pressure Sensor.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
17VDC will have a 2200uf Filter cap with 100nf bypassing.

Wouldn't a 100uf cap decrease the ADC response time ?

Speaking of high frequency filtering, the project does use a GSM transmitter to send SMS during a fault condition. It is placed close to the controller.
Is it a concern ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Like this ?
Sensor.png
1. Like I asked, will it not effect ADC value update as the cap will be charged ?
2. Is a GSM/GPRS unit in close proximity an issue ?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I would love to have that but I do not have the sensor. I need to get that from the customer.
All he said was 9-28V, 4 -20 mA Pressure sensor.
I guess I need to get my hands on one.
He said it is the type that are readily available and has 2 wires.
I did see the sensor, I did see 2 wires and 4-20mA written on it.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Like this ?
Yup. Looks good to me!

1. Like I asked, will it not effect ADC value update as the cap will be charged ?
Ummm... unsure what you mean by that. Clarify? (R2, R3 and the capacitors make a low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 0.8 Hz. If that's too low you can just make the 100 uF capacitor smaller.)

2. Is a GSM/GPRS unit in close proximity an issue ?
I think that mostly depends on how the Arduino is affected, if at all. As far as this circuit is concerned, I don't think it matters.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I am PIC Guy.

Effecting ADC means , will the cap discharge fast enough for the ADC to register a value. It won't help if the Display response is slow compared to the actual pressure discharge.

I do not think the PIC will be affected with GSM transmitter.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Effecting ADC means , will the cap discharge fast enough for the ADC to register a value. It won't help if the Display response is slow compared to the actual pressure discharge.
Those R and C values create a filter with a 200 millisecond time constant, so I doubt anyone looking at the display will notice any slowdown or lag. And as I said, if you want it to respond faster just reduce the 100 uF capacitor to something smaller.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
The Circuit is built and Sensor connected.
With 250R it produced 1V as calculated and change is fast.
Customer said the Max pressure will be 5 bar which is 2.5V since it is a 0-10 bar Sensor.
I am thinking of putting a 5.1V Zener across ADC Pin to protect it further.
I believe it won't matter since the ADC will never come close to 5V.
What do you say guys ?