340V DC to 220V AC

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
Hi, I installed today my hydro generator, the generator product 220v AC 3 phase so 3 cables. the generator was shipped with a bridge rectifier, the output is 340v DC. so now I need to convert the 340V DC to 220V AC, if I connect the cable directly to the 220v 3phase so I use 2 cable out of 3, I will have a big loss?
Regards

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Hi, I installed today my hydro generator, the generator product 220v AC 3 phase so 3 cables. the generator was shipped with a bridge rectifier, the output is 340v DC. so now I need to convert the 340V DC to 220V AC, if I connect the cable directly to the 220v 3phase so I use 2 cable out of 3, I will have a big loss?
Regards
Draw us a diagram please

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
I'm sorry but I'm not sure how to do it, I will try to make it more simple.
generator produce 220v AC 3phase (3Wire)
bridge rectifier transform 220v 3 phase to 340v DC (2Wire)
my goal is to get 220v AC 1 phase so with 2 wire.
for this I need to find a way to convert 3 phase Ac 220v to 1 phase AC 220v.
or 340V DC from the bridge rectifier to 220V AC for home appliances (Europe)
I hope it is easier to understand.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Any particular reason why you need single phase? If you have multiple small loads you can just put some on each phase.
(But be careful with the wiring as there will be 400V between any two lives)

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What is the power rating you require?
One way you could go is to modify an existing 12V (or 24V...) inverter but feed your 340VDC into the output of the DC to DC stage as these usually boost the battery to around the 340VDC level then run that through an H bridge to produce the 240VAC . But you will need to also have a 12V supply to run the control stages and disable the inbuilt DC to DC converter.
Or, drive a battery charger then an inverter.
There are quite a few ways to go, BUT!!! This is a job for a technical qualified person.
You are dealing with lethal voltages and from your postings, I feel it is not something you can do yourself safely.

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
If I don't want to use the 3 phase it's because the hydro turbine is at 300Meter. I already have two cable coming from there. if I use just two cable out of the 3 phase generator, will I get same power as if I use bridge rectifier and find out how to modify it to 220v ac? I tried a load on 2 cables only from the 3 phase it seems to work but maybe i lose power?

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
What is the power rating you require?
One way you could go is to modify an existing 12V (or 24V...) inverter but feed your 340VDC into the output of the DC to DC stage as these usually boost the battery to around the 340VDC level then run that through an H bridge to produce the 240VAC . But you will need to also have a 12V supply to run the control stages and disable the inbuilt DC to DC converter.
Or, drive a battery charger then an inverter.
There are quite a few ways to go, BUT!!! This is a job for a technical qualified person.
You are dealing with lethal voltages and from your postings, I feel it is not something you can do yourself safely.
I have few inverter laying around, I will see how much voltage they boost the DC to DC, if it is close to 340v I will try.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Make sure you understand it is not just supplying the 340VDC to the inverter circuit, but also modifying the circuit to turn off the internal inverter and to supply suitable power to the control stage.
Please get help if you do not understand all that as you will destroy the inverter and possibly electrocute yourself or even worse, some others. This is potentially quite dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
Make sure you understand it is not just supplying the 340VDC to the inverter circuit, but also modifying the circuit to turn off the internal inverter and to supply suitable power to the control stage.
Please get help if you do not understand all that as you will destroy the inverter and possibly electrocute yourself or even worse, some others. This is potentially quite dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.
you mean I can't just find out where the voltage is around 340v and just put my hydro 340v at this place in the circuit? in worse case it can burn the part of the circuit from 12v to 340v no?
And don't worry about being electrocuted, I don't know a lot about circuit but I was working for local electricity company highv oltage and high current and I'm still here, I know how to protect myself ;).
And if i directly connect 2 cable to the 3 phase of my generator (before the bridge rectifier) I will have less HZ 220v but will it be efficient? I mean, I will lose a lot of power?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
you mean I can't just find out where the voltage is around 340v and just put my hydro 340v at this place in the circuit?
The output of the DC to DC converter in the inverter will be about right to put the rectified 340VDC onto, but that alone will not run the inverter. The inverter needs a 12V supply for the control stuff. You could use a 12V switch mode plug pack for that 12V supply.

And if i directly connect 2 cable to the 3 phase of my generator (before the bridge rectifier) I will have less HZ 220v but will it be efficient? I mean, I will lose a lot of power?
The output of your alternator will probably be higher Hz than the mains requires. Without knowing what your hydro system is we cannot say. Also, the Hz will vary with load and water flow. So, driving a battery charger from the hydro system then running your load off an inverter from the battery is probably the best way to go.
Another advantage of that setup is for a shorter time, you can run bigger loads that the hydro system can supply as the extra power comes from the battery.

You still have not told us what your hydro system is.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I'm sorry but I'm not sure how to do it, I will try to make it more simple.
generator produce 220v AC 3phase (3Wire)
bridge rectifier transform 220v 3 phase to 340v DC (2Wire)
my goal is to get 220v AC 1 phase so with 2 wire.
for this I need to find a way to convert 3 phase Ac 220v to 1 phase AC 220v.
or 340V DC from the bridge rectifier to 220V AC for home appliances (Europe)
I hope it is easier to understand.
340 V DC is the peak voltage of a 220 v ac.
Use a H bridge PWM invertor to get a 220 V AC floating supply or include a 1:1 transformer for isolation.

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
The output of the DC to DC converter in the inverter will be about right to put the rectified 340VDC onto, but that alone will not run the inverter. The inverter needs a 12V supply for the control stuff. You could use a 12V switch mode plug pack for that 12V supply.

The output of your alternator will probably be higher Hz than the mains requires. Without knowing what your hydro system is we cannot say. Also, the Hz will vary with load and water flow. So, driving a battery charger from the hydro system then running your load off an inverter from the battery is probably the best way to go.
Another advantage of that setup is for a shorter time, you can run bigger loads that the hydro system can supply as the extra power comes from the battery.

You still have not told us what your hydro system is.
OK, If I find the output of 340v in the circuit and put the 340v from my bridge rectifier and at same time use 12v as input of the inverter for it to start, it should work?

when you say driving a battery charger from the hydro system, you mean plugging a battery charger from the bridge rectifier 340v directly? it won't burn? or you mean using the two wire coming out from the generator without the bridge rectifier?.

the hydro generator is this Chinese unit, not saying much about it....
https://a.aliexpress.com/_v0k5AP

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
OK, If I find the output of 340v in the circuit and put the 340v from my bridge rectifier and at same time use 12v as input of the inverter for it to start, it should work?

when you say driving a battery charger from the hydro system, you mean plugging a battery charger from the bridge rectifier 340v directly? it won't burn? or you mean using the two wire coming out from the generator without the bridge rectifier?.
IF the battery charger is a switch mode type, and not a mains transformer one, it should run ok from the output of the 3 phase bridge rectifier. Then have it charging a battery. Run your 12V to 240V inverter from that battery.

After few research I can't find what is a H Bridge Pwm invertor
Have a read of....
https://solar.smps.us/sinewave-inverters.html

As said a few times, get someone who knows what it is all about to help you.
Otherwise you could end up burning the hydro alternator out, and/or damaging your other bits.
There are quite a few different designs in use and if you use the wrong ones, damage will occur.
It is really hard to help without seeing what you have in detail.
And, just out of interest, what is the head of water and the pipe size you are using?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I note that the alternator attached to the "1000W hydro generator" looks very similar to the "200W generator" advertised in the side-bar.
I don't see any components that could be frequency or voltage regulation. What output voltage and frequency does it produce?

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
IF the battery charger is a switch mode type, and not a mains transformer one, it should run ok from the output of the 3 phase bridge rectifier. Then have it charging a battery. Run your 12V to 240V inverter from that battery.

Have a read of....
https://solar.smps.us/sinewave-inverters.html

As said a few times, get someone who knows what it is all about to help you.
Otherwise you could end up burning the hydro alternator out, and/or damaging your other bits.
There are quite a few different designs in use and if you use the wrong ones, damage will occur.
It is really hard to help without seeing what you have in detail.
And, just out of interest, what is the head of water and the pipe size you are using?
My battery charger isn't a switch mode type unfortunately... And I don't know anyone here that know a lot like you about electricity.
and I run a water pipe of 50mm I think 2 inch to 10mm I think as reducer given with the turbine, around 40m drop.

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
I note that the alternator attached to the "1000W hydro generator" looks very similar to the "200W generator" advertised in the side-bar.
I don't see any components that could be frequency or voltage regulation. What output voltage and frequency does it produce?
1000w for Chinese is 200W for us lol... they always over rate in descriptions. and I don't have oscilloscope to know the frequency

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The frequency will be directly proportional to the rotational speed of the alternator. so being driven by a water turbine it will probably vary over a wide range.

Les.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
The frequency will be directly proportional to the rotational speed of the alternator. so being driven by a water turbine it will probably vary over a wide range.

Les.
From the gens I have seen @LesJones
these are different
they are phase synchronous to the mains they connect to
may be this one is random frequency, but without knowledge of the items to be used
I'd suggest , its going to be a guess,

IntoTheWild1995

Joined Nov 1, 2018
using a 300w blender it work perfectly like from my solar system pure sine inverter, with a 600w driller it doesn't work well it produce less than 600w for sure, 2 light bulb 50w each it work well too. if only I could use this power to feed my solar power bank.... but Im scared to plug my lithium charger as It cost 150$...