How to convert 340V DC to produce 220V 50Hz AC

zahidislam

Joined Jun 15, 2008
Dear sir,
I am working on UPS, i can make 340V DC from 12V battery, now my target is to convert 340V dc to 220V 50Hz ac, but i don't know how to do it. I need help regarding this matter
Sincerly,
Zahid Islam

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Do you need someone to design it for you or do you have an idea?

Pardon me if I'm being harsh, but I never encouraged designing for someone else's merit. Lately, this forum is getting requests on that order. I hope I'm not being uninviting.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I concur with Cumesoftware. This is a forum, not a design service.

If you wish to read about those concepts which will help you design and build your own inverter, I suggest Irving Gottleib's Power Supplies, Switching Regulators, Inverters, and Converters.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I concur with Cumesoftware. This is a forum, not a design service.
Or a DOD service, as I used to call it (Design on Demand).

However, why are you using 340V DC. Is there any specific reason? Since you are working on a UPS, I presume that you are getting that voltage from a battery. I think that 12V and 24V are more common in that situation, and far more easy to work with. However I see that 340V DC comes from a rectified 220V AC mains and it is understandable that you don't wish to loose efficiency. However, rectifying 220V without an isolation transformer is dangerous, if that is your case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirenguy

Joined Jun 17, 2008
I dont have any schematics to share, but I used to repair 18 and 36 kW motor controllers for military AC units that could rectify 208v 3-phase into @300VDC, then used PWM and two hefty inductors to produce 208 3 phase again. The advantage? It could convert 50, 60, or 400Hz to 61 Hz Power. It could even (the 18 kW unit) handle a temporary loss of phase and still work! I guess they went with 61Hz out to reduce harmonic issues. The company has been since bought out, but was called Keco Industries when I worked there. Maybe if you search the internet, you can find a used or salvage unit to play with or modiify. They had some large FREDs (Fast Recovery Epitaxial Diodes), MOSFETS, and huge half wave rectifiers (3 for each phase, outputing into a common DC bus rail.) It had a soft start function for ramping a AC compressor up to speed while reducing inrush current. Anyway, just an idea.