30s Air Doctors comunicated with pedal powered radios in Aus

MarkSimms

Joined Apr 6, 2016
I just found out the air ambulance in Australia 1930s communicated with remote areas who had pedal powerd radios, you sat on a chair and pedalled, I assume that's where the idea for clockwork comes from. I suppose everything can be found in history

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
During the early 60s my ham radio collection included a Navy TBX 3. The transmitter was powered by a hand crank generator which could be strapped to a tree and that sucker was hard to crank. It was a WW II vintage radio transmitter and receiver and the receiver included a large battery box. The hand crank generator is pictured in the link. Pretty cool stuff.

Ron

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
During the early 60s my ham radio collection included a Navy TBX 3. The transmitter was powered by a hand crank generator which could be strapped to a tree and that sucker was hard to crank. It was a WW II vintage radio transmitter and receiver and the receiver included a large battery box. The hand crank generator is pictured in the link. Pretty cool stuff.

Ron
I bet cranking that generator would make you look like Charles Atlas. ;)
upload_2018-5-7_10-22-28.jpeg

upload_2018-5-7_10-21-36.jpeg

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

Ron
Also there was at least one military radio that used a setup like a hammock with a foot pedaled generator in the similar manner. That was how to get power back then. now we have wind-up radios.
And that blasting thing with the plunger was a rig that spun a magneto to generate a lot of voltage at enough current to fire a blasting cap. Similar to a telephone magneto of the era.