3 wire DC Motor

PhxWilsonsKen

Joined Mar 17, 2021
I hope this question isn't too far afield, but I am out of my depth and desperate. In this particular sad story, my refrigerator broke in Oct 2020 and the necessary part was backordered, until last week (4 and a half months!), when the order was canceled due to the part being discontinued! The part needed is a small refrigerator fan motor and, due to COVID, an OEM replacement can't be sourced. The motor is:
part number 60159-013600-00
2.4-W 12V-DC
2,100-RPM picture attached.

I found a motor that may work, but because it isn't OEM, I'd like to know the answer to this question: Why does the motor have a 3 wire lead? Knowing 2 wires would be for the positive and negative leads to power the motor - what is the third wire for?

Any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Here is a link to a motor that I hope will work.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-4681JB1027C-Evaporator-Fan-Motor/dp/B00LGUF0G2/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=1UNGA2VZTA5FY&dchild=1&keywords=refrigerator+fan+motor+kenmore&qid=1615993969&sprefix=refrigerator+fan+motor,aps,234&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFENTZWUEtYNElISEsmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNzA3MDUxV1pQUEpISzNKMzY1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNDcxMTgzTUMwMVRGSjVNTFJUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Attachments

Computer 12V fan motors have either 3 or 4 wires.
3rd wire is the tachometer signal - determines if the fan is running when it's supposed to.
4th wire is a PWM signal input which can be unconnected to run at full speed.

So, likely it's a tach.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
What is the Voltage of your Refrigerator ?
If you buy a 12V Motor for a 120V Refrigerator, you will have to get a separate
Power-Supply just to run the Fan.

What you probably need is called a "Shaded-Pole" Motor,
with a Voltage that matches your Mains Voltage.
They run slow and very quiet.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The shaded pole motor is usually 2 pole so they run at just under 3500rpm on 1ph 60hz.
The most inefficient induction motor, so they run very hot.

PhxWilsonsKen

Joined Mar 17, 2021
I'm guessing that motor is a BLDC, test the resistance of the 3 leads and see if they are all identical between any two.
I can do that, but I don’t know what that data would indicate. Like I said, I am out of my depth and I am looking for help to identify a substitute motor because I cannot get an OEM motor.

PhxWilsonsKen

Joined Mar 17, 2021

My original post detailed to motor as being a 12VDC motor that runs at 2,100RPM. The motor is already being controlled by the refrigerator’s main circuit board.

The refrigerator is normal house current - 120VAC. The OEM motor that failed is 12VDC being controlled by the refrigerator’s main circuit board and runs at 2,100 RPM.