3 phase induction motor for generator

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I connect 9 lead 3 phase motor with capacitors for operate as generator. It works very well except load regulation sucks if av held constant for maintain 60hz frequency:( I using 5HP (which is 3.729kw) motor for Gen. To allow for inefficiencies I decide full load should be 2.5kw. When it's running at av for 60hz, unloaded voltage is 145v and loaded by 2.5kw voltage is 116v at single phase outputs. For now I follow with ferroresonant constant voltage xfmr but think there's better way? Tnx for help:)!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
It works very well except load regulation sucks if av held constant
That'd be the nature of the 'beast'!:cool:

I follow with ferroresonant constant voltage xfmr but think there's better way?
Well... You could implement two generators in a so called "dom/subby" arrangement -- howbeit I feel your approach of a FR transformer conditioned output is the best solution should a high degree of (effective) load regulation truly be required...

What is your application for the described power-plant?

Best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0)
single phase outputs
---EMPHASIS ADDED---

Your use of the plural suggests your arrangement may, in essence, be that illustrated below?
IndGen2.jpg

If so, you can do 'better' if you don't require a 3θ output --- Again, knowledge of your application would be quite helpful!:)

Best regards
HP

PS -- I apologize that the above diagram is merely a screen capture of an 'off the cuff' design (rendered via LtSpice schematic editor) --- IOW, if anything fails to make sense - don't thump your head against the wall too hard -- it's probably my fault:eek::D

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have had good results with the ferro-resonant approach. Your 25% voltage deviation is within range for that method to be effective.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
With those types of induction generator setups you can cheat your output voltages a bit by changing your capacitor values up or down to raise or lower the output voltage when at load.

Still a limit to how far you can cheat though.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Aleph(0) --- If you viewed post #5 prior to Ca. 9:10 PM CDT (22, Oct 2015) -- please have another look at the (presumptive) diagram of your circuit -- Apologies for my laxity and rather sloppy correction:oops:

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
You could implement two generators in a so called "dom/subby" arrangement
HP Now you're saying ribald idiom all cuz too pc to say master/slave. I say you are product of your generation:rolleyes:

Variable transformer?
Thanks but needs to be automatic cuz load constantly changing:)

Hello,
What is to be doe with 3 phase induction motor here?
I want just to use motor as ac generator:)

I have had good results with the ferro-resonant approach. Your 25% voltage deviation is within range for that method to be effective.
Thanks! Good to know I'm after accepted solution:)!

With those types of induction generator setups you can cheat your output voltages a bit by changing your capacitor values up or down to raise or lower the output voltage when at load.

Still a limit to how far you can cheat though.
Thanks! I use your suggestion to center mean voltage for #12's suggestion:)

Your use of the plural suggests your arrangement may, in essence, be that illustrated below?
Now that think about it is exactly same with 20uf for the caps:)

If so, you can do 'better' if you don't require a 3θ output
HP Plz show me exactly what you mean! Like you say I good student:)

Again, knowledge of your application would be quite helpful!:)
You say don't operate Tesla coil from mains cuz damage connected equipment and piss off Hydro big time:eek: So I build generator with 3 phase motor and drive with 40kw Rotec ULA engine. What I want Tesla for is psu for drt tube I can get to 2.5 megavolts before cost to rich for my blood:D

HP Plz show me exactly what you mean! Like you say I good student:)
You might be able to 'bring out' the common point of the 'inner coils' such that, in conjunction with the 'outer coils', you have three balanced 120-0-120 'circuits' - In addition to the 3Φ output -- Alternatively you may do anything you please with the outer coils (e.g. configure as 'delta' or neutral-accessible 'wye') while using the inner coils as a 3Φ circuit... --- That said your present configuration should be adequate for your application...

You say don't operate Tesla coil from mains cuz damage connected equipment and piss off Hydro big time:eek:
Potential destruction of every electronic device connected to your secondary/secondary network (at least) - complete with the many lamentable corollaries thereof is probably worth avoiding --- IOW Correct!:eek:;)

So I build generator with 3 phase motor and drive with 40kw Rotec ULA engine.
You may wish to reconsider use of a '2-stroke' engine in this application -- in any event you will want to avoid Rotec at all costs! Can we say 'cold seizure' -- Rotec is an inept designer/manufacturer of cheap, dangerous, toys -- granting that power loss does not pose a hazard in your application, I don't suppose there's any harm in using the engine until it 'breaks' -- Still...:rolleyes:

What I want Tesla for is psu for drt tube I can get to 2.5 megavolts before cost to rich for my blood:D
While I 'relate' to your desire for a purly 'electronic solution' I'm bound to say you'll find rectifying the TC output a 'pain in the backside' to say the least -- even 'kennys' (i.e. Kenotrons) aren't much help above 1MV --- I trust you realize DRTs are not 'self rectifying'? --- Lowbrow though it may seem - your easiest course is VDG generator topology ---- Otherwise you're looking at lengthy (and, hence, lossy) full-wave CW cascades --- Well hey! Don't let me 'rain on your parade' if you know of a practical method of rectifying 2.5 MV @ ~200 kHz pray clue me in!:)

All the best
HP

PS
HP Now you're saying ribald idiom all cuz too pc to say master/slave. I say you are product of your generation:rolleyes:
Actually I did not 'coin' the idiom in question -- 'tho I tend to believe you've identified the motivation back of its creation!:cool::D

Last edited:
I believe it is for an electric chair for those who ask impertinent questions. Why else would anyone want to generate electricity for? :)
Oh! I can vouch for Aleph - especially as she says it's for a Tesla Coil --- On the other hand a 'chair charger' could make for an interesting weekend project...

But alas! 6 TOS 2 forbids!:(:cool:

Crestfallen
HP:D

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I trust you realize DRTs are not 'self rectifying'?
HP I know they say that! But I am asking just what can go wrong? drt is just big hot cathode vacuum diode?

HP Pic of execution chamber creepy cause so clean and bright and modern like exam room or classroom! Chair should be in moldy cellar or somewhere like that! I mean no matter how stand on capital punishment there's
something cold bloodedly creepy when so damn civilized:eek:!

But how to Rotates the commutator or the the rotter?
Commutator for induction motor is just magnetic field:D! I use horse$h!t Rotec engine to turn rotor:)

HP I know they say that! But I am asking just what can go wrong? drt is just big hot cathode vacuum diode?
Succinctly: In normal operation the anode material coextensive with the 'focal spot' is sufficiently heated to exhibit thermionic emission, and, hence, issue of significant reverse currents leading to rapid destruction of the (relatively) 'delicate' cathode structure... The phenomenon is essentially high-vacuum 'cathode sputter' on steroids:eek: --- FWIW it seems kenotrons were available up to 5MV -- though I expect, owing to their scarcity, they'd cost more than the DRTs:rolleyes:

Please understand, I know how frustrating it can be when a seeming 'collusion' of equipment design, material properties and economics seem to have you 'blocked at every turn' - moreover, it is not my intent to 'shoot down' your ideas! -- but, rather, to spare you vainly invested time and effort based upon my (often sad) experience... Again, my suggestion (RE: production of DC EMFs >1 MV) is implementation of an 'electrostatic machine' (e.g. a VDG or variant thereof) --- more 'elegant' solutions can come later:)

All the best
HP:)

PS
Pic of execution chamber creepy cause so clean and bright and modern like exam room or classroom! Chair should be in moldy cellar or somewhere like that! I mean no matter how stand on capital punishment there's something cold bloodedly creepy when so damn civilized:eek:!
While your (above expressed) sentiment is neither uncommon nor unreasonable -- I offer the following:

Things Aleph finds creepy:
-Large bodies of fresh water...
-(Allegedly) Secret Societies...
-Well-appointed execution chambers...

Did I miss anything?;):p:D

Last edited: