2nd-Order Filter Corner Frequency second order cut-off frequency

ntetlow

Joined Jul 12, 2019
2nd-Order Low Pass Filter -3dB Frequency
low pass filter -3dB frequency

Above is a formula extracted from electronicstutorials . It refers to a second order low pass filter to calculate the actual cut off frequency for any level (n) of low pass fillers. The normal cut of frequency given by the formula
second order cut-off frequency

Can anyone explain this to me , I assume the '1' in the formula is outside the square root symbol?AAA 652 12.04.gif

Mod: Opened the image

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
2nd-Order Low Pass Filter -3dB Frequency
low pass filter -3dB frequency

Above is a formula extracted from electronicstutorials . It refers to a second order low pass filter to calculate the actual cut off frequency for any level (n) of low pass fillers. The normal cut of frequency given by the formula
second order cut-off frequency

Can anyone explain this to me , I assume the '1' in the formula is outside the square root symbol?View attachment 220170

Mod: Opened the image
The explanation is that, although close to each other, the corner frequency and the the 3 dB down frequency are not exactly the same. The corner frequency is actually a drawing aid because it provides an asymptote for the filter rolloff.

ntetlow

Joined Jul 12, 2019
The explanation is that, although close to each other, the corner frequency and the the 3 dB down frequency are not exactly the same. The corner frequency is actually a drawing aid because it provides an asymptote for the filter rolloff.
Sorry but it is the formula that I am concerned with. I want to know how it is derived. An example would also be nice.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry but it is the formula that I am concerned with. I want to know how it is derived. An example would also be nice.
The formula is derived from the transfer function of the filter. What kind of filter is it? Butterworth, Bessel, chebyshev, Something else?
Alternatively where are the poles of this 2nd order filter? From the poles we can derive the transfer function.

ntetlow

Joined Jul 12, 2019
The formula is derived from the transfer function of the filter. What kind of filter is it? Butterworth, Bessel, chebyshev, Something else?
Alternatively where are the poles of this 2nd order filter? From the poles we can derive the transfer function.
If you look in electronics-tutorials.ws website you'll find the piece under low pass filters , second level. It is just an ordinary 2 cap 2 resistor circuit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Because of the following:

In practice, cascading passive filters together to produce larger-order filters is difficult to implement accurately as the dynamic impedance of each filter order affects its neighbouring network. However, to reduce the loading effect we can make the impedance of each following stage 10x the previous stage, so R2 = 10 x R1 and C2 = 1/10th C1.

The derivation of the transfer function is less straightforward in this case because the second stage loads the first. The strategy above may be used to mitigate that effect. The derivation of the actual transfer function comes from writing the node equations, and observing how the sections interact with each other. This leads to an expression for the magnitude of the output with respect to the magnitude of the input as functions of frequency which can then be solved for particular values, like 1/√2 = .707.

ntetlow

Joined Jul 12, 2019
Because of the following:

In practice, cascading passive filters together to produce larger-order filters is difficult to implement accurately as the dynamic impedance of each filter order affects its neighbouring network. However, to reduce the loading effect we can make the impedance of each following stage 10x the previous stage, so R2 = 10 x R1 and C2 = 1/10th C1.

The derivation of the transfer function is less straightforward in this case because the second stage loads the first. The strategy above may be used to mitigate that effect. The derivation of the actual transfer function comes from writing the node equations, and observing how the sections interact with each other. This leads to an expression for the magnitude of the output with respect to the magnitude of the input as functions of frequency which can then be solved for particular values, like 1/√2 = .707.
Thank you for this. However the formula must have come from somewhere. I have searched the web and cannot find it anywhere. When things are so poorly explained as in this case my curiosity is roused and I cannot make sense of the maths at all.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thank you for this. However the formula must have come from somewhere. I have searched the web and cannot find it anywhere. When things are so poorly explained as in this case my curiosity is roused and I cannot make sense of the maths at all.
What you have to do for yourself is write the node equation to determine the transfer function. Then derive the result you are looking for. Can it be so hard for you to do that?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
However the formula must have come from somewhere
hello there
:)
Corner frequency, -3db , 0.707.
What you see below is a visual representation of what has already been discussed sorry for the repetition. Can you see how they relate to each other graphically.

filters-and-resonance-3-638.jpg
image005.png
It doesn't matter what type of filter High pass low pass band pass pick one the principle is the same.

Attachments

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
In practice, cascading passive filters together to produce larger-order filters is difficult to implement accurately as the dynamic impedance of each filter order affects its neighbouring network. However, to reduce the loading effect we can make the impedance of each following stage 10x the previous stage, so R2 = 10 x R1 and C2 = 1/10th C1
Commit this quote to memory! Then you will be on your way to design what you wish.