2N4117 Source Follower Biasing

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Btw. the Q just stands for quiescent.
Oh. Idss or less, when using a j-fet.;)

I wouldn't claim j-fets are intuitive to me, except I have designed some excellent circuits with them and that forced me to get so familiar with how they work. An NPN works with its base above its emitter, a j-fet works with its gate below its source. An NPN is used to increase and decrease current around the q point. A j-fet can only increase current up to Idss (and a tiny cheat more). The benefit for having such a limited current range in a j-fet is the excellent gate impedance. You want more current? Pick a different part number.

You find this all your life: Book learnin' only goes so far. You have to get your hands dirty to really understand how the limitations interact. THEN you go back to the book and suddenly you have power in your knowledge.

AWitt

Joined May 11, 2016
You find this all your life: Book learnin' only goes so far. You have to get your hands dirty to really understand how the limitations interact. THEN you go back to the book and suddenly you have power in your knowledge.
I could not agree more! Thank you

Better electronic circuit. This circuit has a much smaller output impedance.
Thank you I have seen that circuit in a different forum aswell. Maybe that was you.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have seen that circuit in a different forum as well. Maybe that was you.
Bordodynov answers have certain characteristics which make them very easy to recognize for some reason.
I've never seen him be wrong!
That doesn't make him perfect, but it makes him memorable.;)