25 LED Open Ended Sequencer

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I need to make it and test it, but here is the revised schematic...

The size of the final PCB is almost exactly the size of Jens, 4" X 3¼".

Now to translate it into a .gif file, and clean it up. I don't like their chip DIP pads, and I'll make the others prettier too.

Attachments

Last edited:

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Gentlemen,

How does this device work, please? Would a back and forth Night Rider sequence limit you to 12 or 13 LEDs because you're connecting each LED to two sequence positions?

Cheerful regards, Mike

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
@Bill:

Nice work! One question: Why is the distance between CR18 and CR19 greater than CR26 and CR27, and CR34 and CR35?

Maybe I just don't see why...:)

Looking at my board... I might give it another shot.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Nice work! One question: Why is the distance between CR18 and CR19 greater than CR26 and CR27, and CR34 and CR35?
Dern if I know off the top of my head. I try to keep a constant spacing when I lay it out, and still don't succeed. You will also note that one of the diodes is 180° out too. This final step, where I polish the board (and figured how to get Gimp back to 600DPI) I usually have to tweak a lot of the board by hand. The idea is to get all the traces to squeak by the pads at a comfortable distance.

Here is the final product after polish...

VBulliten kept trying to convert my .gif file into a .jpg file (with will heavily distort the image) so I moved it into the .zip file to maintain integrity. The picture above is just that, a pretty picture, not the working file. I started with the image in post #61 and started modifying it.

This time I added the pad shapes to my PaintCAD files.

Attachments

Last edited:

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Side thought, you can replace the BJTs with small MOSFETs though, I believe there are some with compatible pinouts.

I'd certainly agree with that, small TO-92 or surface mount MOSFTs abound and that would solve the current draw problem.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Gentlemen,

How does this device work, please? Would a back and forth Night Rider sequence limit you to 12 or 13 LEDs because you're connecting each LED to two sequence positions?

Cheerful regards, Mike
Pretty much. You need 2N-1 outputs for a back and forth sweep, so for a 10 LED sweep you need 19 sequences.

This device will do 13 LEDs max. 2X 4017 chips will do 17 LEDs.

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
OK Bill,
I tried to dwnload your PCB to print because I would love to DIY this pcb and get it to work(lol still newbe) for another project I'm working on. But when I did the print out is to large. The PCB came out 6 1/4" X 5 1/8" so I figured I have to shrink it somehow:rolleyes:. Can you help me ? And can you post a shopping list? I really want to build this one!
Thanks Jim :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
By too large you are talking printing it with Gimp?

Load Gimp
Load "25 LED Seq Copper.gif"
Edit (top tool bar, second choice)
<preferences>
..<default image> (at this point a new screen pops up)
..<advanced options> (middle of new screen, shows 72 pixels/in for X,Y)
..Adjust DPI for X,Y to 600 DPI, it is now correct. X and Y are linked.
..<OK>

<Image> 5th one across on toolboard
..<Print Size> type (don't use the arrows) 600 DPI on X, tab down Y and it will automatically adjust to match X.

Now you are back to main screen again. <print>

Gimp got into a weird mode on me, I had to completely exit the program, reload Gimp and the program (after resaving it on my desktop) to get it to work. Gimp is frustrating the heck out of me. I do not class it as easy to use, ever, but it will do 600 DPI on the printer.

If I can find something as easy to use as Paint with the resolution of Gimp I will leave it and never look back.

Last edited:

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill,
I downloaded the Att. files on post #67 (25 led sequencer.zip) to my desktop, unzipped and tried to print as I did with our fader pcb but this time it didn't print the right size for transfer. I guess I don't understand how to print and create a file in gimp! I will try again. I can't find 25 LED Seq Copper.gif file?
Thanks Jim :confused:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I tried downloading the zip file using Firefox (this should not make a difference, all browsers are pretty similar at this level). I opened the file and looked at the list of contents, which I have attached a partial screen.

I had the devils own time getting it to work, I posted what I did. Were you able to find the controls as I listed them? It was very much trial and error on my part.

If all else fails I can mail you a copy of the templates, say 4 or 5, on wax paper.

Attachments

brozizds

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Bill,
I tried again and got nada, I opened gimp found files but not the one I need to open only the 2 from express pcb and sch. Can you either email or snail mail. If you snail mail can you include a copy on plain white paper?
Thank you Jim :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Looking at it with windows (not gimp) you didn't see 3 files? This is disturbing. They are there, I have verified it. You are using WinXP? With XP you can treat a saved zip file as a folder.

I'll get back with you, it isn't really practical to mail a copy of the print on paper, as trying to copy it will loose critical details. Voice of experience. You must print it directly. So I guess some templates are coming up in a few days.

I've been under the weather, it will take a little while.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, yours is on the way, if it isn't there already.

Meanwhile, I've been making mine.

Let the soldering begin...

Attachments