240Vac to dual 150Vdc & 12Vdc power supply

kevinnas

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Hello.
I am trying to design a power supply to convert [240Vac] (UK Mains) to a dual [12Vdc] and [150Vdc] (130V-160V is acceptable) output.
I have drawn a rough sketch of how it could theoretically work, but the problem is my lack of practical knowledge, picking the correct components to do the job and their availability. in terms of size roughly no larger than 150mm x 150mm x 150mm for the whole design. weight just has to be reasonable.
Could someone give me a hand with the design and chosing the right components that will be safe and durable? or maybe even something already.
The Power supply will be powering a mosfet circuit. I do not imagine more than 2A output being needed for the 150Vdc supply and I do not imagine needing more than 250mA for the 12Vdc supply.
If it is not possible or if it causes a lot of issues to have it as a dual supply I can always have two separate circuits one for the 12Vdc and one for the 150Vdc.
Please any help will be appreciated, especially picking the components etc. someone suggested for me the A41-130-230 or FD8-120

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The problem with your plan is the the +150VDC to 12VDC regulator is going to dissipate enormous amounts of power. For example if the load draws 50 mA @ +12VDC, the regulator will dissipate (150-12)*.050 = 6.9 watts. You will need liquid nitrogen cooling for the heatsink.

kevinnas

Joined Jul 31, 2017
The problem with your plan is the the +150VDC to 12VDC regulator is going to dissipate enormous amounts of power. For example if the load draws 50 mA @ +12VDC, the regulator will dissipate (150-12)*.050 = 6.9 watts. You will need liquid nitrogen cooling for the heatsink.
In that case I can do two seperate power supplies one for 150V and another for 12V that is not a problem at all..the only thing is chosing the correct transformer regulator bridge diodes etc to achieve that..any suggestions?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So I would suggest a transformer with one primary winding an two secondary wingdings. That way you can choose the AC voltages on the secondaries for your application. Depending on the current demands of the two DC outputs you might be better off with two transformers, each sized according to your needs.

kevinnas

Joined Jul 31, 2017
So I would suggest a transformer with one primary winding an two secondary wingdings. That way you can choose the AC voltages on the secondaries for your application. Depending on the current demands of the two DC outputs you might be better off with two transformers, each sized according to your needs.
For the 150Vdc what kind of rectifier do I need? Or smoothing capacitor considerations? Or the type of regulator that can work at that voltage?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
More info on you application may help. What is the actual load you want to drive?
Remember, unloaded 150VAC rectified output will be 150 x 1.414 = 212VDC. So maybe a 110VAC transformer out would be better.
I would use a plug pack for the 12V as that is easier to get, often for nothing. At least, a separate transformer.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For the 150Vdc what kind of rectifier do I need? Or smoothing capacitor considerations? Or the type of regulator that can work at that voltage?
The capacitors should be electrolytics with a working voltage of at least 300 VDC for the 150 V supply, 25-35VDC for the 12 volt supply. If the rectifiers are going to be made from diodes they should be able to handle twice the maximum load current and least 600 PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage). If you are using bridge rectifiers the same limits apply.

Last edited:

kevinnas

Joined Jul 31, 2017
More info on you application may help. What is the actual load you want to drive?
Remember, unloaded 150VAC rectified output will be 150 x 1.414 = 212VDC. So maybe a 110VAC transformer out would be better.
I would use a plug pack for the 12V as that is easier to get, often for nothing. At least, a separate transformer.
Thank you.
I will be using the dc power supply for a mosfet class AB power amp output stage which will be connected to a 50ohm load. The power amp produces 1A p-p and 50Vp-p with a single supply output stage that is why I need 130V or more from the dc supply. As you mentioned the 12Vdc shouldn’t be a problem.
As for the transformer do I just connect it directly to mains uk plug then ollowed by a 5A fuse?
What type of regulator (if any is needed) can I use?

kevinnas

Joined Jul 31, 2017
The capacitors should be electrolytics with a working voltage of at least 300 VDC for the 150 V supply, 25-35VDC for the 12 volt supply. If the rectifiers are going to be made from diodes they should be able to handle twice the maximum load current and least 600 PIV (Peak Inverse Voltage). If you are using bridge rectifiers the same limits apply.
Thank you.