220V 3-5W LED driver

etech7

Joined Jun 9, 2015
I need a power supply design to power up 12V, 3W LED string from 220 VAC supply to illuminate stairs. It should be tiny. How can I do this?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
specs on the LED string..
does it already have current limiting?
Is 12V the Vf of the LED or the operating voltage of the strip.

More than likely the LED strip already has current limiting so any regular 12V "wallwart" could be used provided it has more than a 500mA output capacity.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can't do it cheaper, better, or safer than a simple switchmode power supply. Even I can't!
Take the easy way out on this one. Buy the well designed and tested product.

etech7

Joined Jun 9, 2015
specs on the LED string..
does it already have current limiting?
Is 12V the Vf of the LED or the operating voltage of the strip.

More than likely the LED strip already has current limiting so any regular 12V "wallwart" could be used provided it has more than a 500mA output capacity.
All of your questions' answer is YES.
What is "wallwart"?

etech7

Joined Jun 9, 2015
SMPS is much complecated to me... actually I am not very well in power electronics... I thought that there may be another simple way to acomplish this kind of job. Once I saw a tiny 12V power supply that converts 220V mains to 12 VDC @ 1amp. that was a professional tool and used few components... doide, transistor and a small roomed transformer as far i remember.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
if it small its definitely smps, a linear transformer is too large,

smps design is outside the realm of most hobbyists, easier to buy a ready made psu .

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
SMPS is much complecated to me... actually I am not very well in power electronics... I thought that there may be another simple way to acomplish this kind of job. Once I saw a tiny 12V power supply that converts 220V mains to 12 VDC @ 1amp. that was a professional tool and used few components... doide, transistor and a small roomed transformer as far i remember.
You just need to buy one of these if you don't already have one laying around your house..

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Adapter-Power-Supply-12VDC/dp/B006GEPUYA
BUT with the proper plug for your country..
Plugs right into the wall outlet and will output 12VDC to feed directly into your LED strip..