18650 BMS (12v) max batteries allowed?

hroldan

Joined Oct 12, 2016
Hi there, I'm honestly clueless on this. I have two BMS (12v) for 18650 batteries working perfectly with my solar panel and solar charger. It is this one (amazon link), you can check the specs on the link (quite limited to my question). It's the 3S type, that means it needs 3 x 18650 in series to work producing 12V, you can increase the number of batteries (in series of 3 to increase capacity). In my case each pack is using 5 series of 3, that means 15 / 18650 batteries in total each pack.

I have no heat issues, overloads, etc, nothing, everything works perfectly.

I've been researching about this but can't find what's the max number of batteries I can't wire there. I would like to use just one BMS for my whole set of batteries, that would mean 3S x 10 = 30 batteries but I don't know if there is a maximum limit. I don't want to fry my BMS, the only way to get those is order on the internet and that takes too much time if something goes wrong (you can't buy those where I live).

So just trying to wire all the batteries as a test doesn't sound as an option for me. I've been searching but still no luck finding specific... specs about those BMS. Any help will be appreciated. I can leave the setup as it is but I want to put the whole thing on a smaller box and I need the space.

Any help will be appreciated.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
No ... there is no limit ...you can have 3S x 1000 =3000 if you like ... the charger just sees the voltage of the battery , it has no way of knowing the capacity ... and will just deliver current until max voltage is reached ...

Of course the more cells you have the longer it will take to charge

hroldan

Joined Oct 12, 2016
No ... there is no limit ...you can have 3S x 1000 =3000 if you like ... the charger just sees the voltage of the battery , it has no way of knowing the capacity ... and will just deliver current until max voltage is reached ...

Of course the more cells you have the longer it will take to charge
oz93666, I was worried that there was some AMP limit for the BMS (depending the brand and model), and possibly too many batteries = frying the circuit. I will carry on with my new box for the batteries.

Thanks for the clarification oz93666