15 second digital timer

mrgthreepwood

Joined Aug 22, 2007
I am trying to complete a project and am quickly nearing the deadline. The project is as follows:

"The circuit will display an elapsed time, 0 to 15 seconds, repeating continuously. A two digit display will indicate 0 to 15. A green LED will be lit from 0 to 5 seconds, a red LED from 6 to 10 seconds, and a buzzer will sound from 11 to 15 seconds. A 555 timer and 741 op-amp must be incorporated into the project."

I have been working with the following:
5V Vcc
two 7490 decade counters
two 7447 BCD (7-segment decoder)
one 741 Op-amp (required)
one 555 timer (required)
two seven segment displays
various resistors and capacitors

I have attached my current schematic. I have torn down and rebuilt this circuit many times. I currently cannot even activate the attached 7-segment LED. I will need gates (NOR, I think) for the yet-to-be-added LEDs and buzzer. Also, the op-amp is not yet incorporated in the schematic.

Thanks for any help all of you can provide!

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You look to be somewhat on the right track with the 555 and the first 7490, although I can't make out pin numbers..

What is the 741 supposed to do, though? Drive the buzzer?

mrgthreepwood

Joined Aug 22, 2007
You look to be somewhat on the right track with the 555 and the first 7490, although I can't make out pin numbers..

What is the 741 supposed to do, though? Drive the buzzer?
To be honest, I'm not completely sure. I initially had the Op Amp "feeding" the 555 timer circuit (555 is set in Astable config.). Op Amp output to Thresh. and Trig of 555. I have a circuit built on a breadboard (sorry, no photo) that counts to 99, but I need to configure it to reset after 15 (count 0 - 15 and restart continuously) and I have not been able to successfully add the op amp.

This thing is making me nuts...:confused:

mrgthreepwood

Joined Aug 22, 2007
I calculated approximately 1Hz output on the 555, which I understand is a good freq to work with on the 7490s. Any idea how to set up the 7490s to restart the count after 15 seconds?

Also, my LEDs are not functioning. I'm sure I missed something...

I believe my NOR gates would be connected between the 7490s and the 7447s. Is this right?

I'm still not sure what to do with the op amp...

Here's the current version (not much has changed, just started over again):

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
For the reset to zero, use external gates to generate a clear to the counters when the counts = 15 and the next clock occurs. The same external logic can be acitve during the timing periods for driving the LED's.