12VDC 200ma Switch to Power 12A Motor

chriswgardner

Joined Apr 19, 2019
I'm an electronics novice at best. I have an application completely within 12VDC environment where I have a 12V sensor device that produces an output signal of 200ma when "tripped", upon which I want to power a 12V electric motor than can draw as much as 12A under load while sensor output remains powered. I'm presuming I need to somehow increase the amperage of the signal output from the sensor device in order to complete the power circuit that will draw a much higher amperage than the sensor can deliver without burning out my (expensive) sensor device. Is there a name of some sort of off-the-shelf device that I can purchase for this type of application?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Its called a Switch, Relay. Transistor, Mosfet etc.
A relay may be the simplest.
The sensor picks up the relay coil, a contact switches the motor.
You need a supply capable of running the motor.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Whether to use a mechanical relay or a solid-state switch depends largely on how often the motor will be turned on and off.
Mechanical relays have a limited number of operating cycles, whereas solid-state devices essentially don't.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One method to counter premature failure of DC switching is to use a arc blowout relay, they use a small magnet alongside the contacts.
Max.

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Last edited:

chriswgardner

Joined Apr 19, 2019
An "off-the-shelf" type solution ...
An opto-isolated DC Input "DC100D20" Crydom SSR could work ...
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/657/power-plus-dc-series-100-dc-panel-mount-1370752.pdf
NOTE: The external reverse biased diode added across the inductive load, for protection.

Low volts and low milliamps required on the Input side
High volts and high amps controlled on the Output side
With optical-isolation between the two circuits.
MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE FOR BEING SO VERY HELPFUL! I appreciate all of your expertise very much. I have several leads now that I'm already researching.

chriswgardner

Joined Apr 19, 2019
MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE FOR BEING SO VERY HELPFUL! I appreciate all of your expertise very much. I have several leads now that I'm already researching.