12V voltage stabiliser/optimiser/regulator/surge protection - 20A

s6stu

Joined Aug 29, 2019
Hi,

I am wondering if there is a device on the market capable of providing a constant 12V DC for a 240W motor? The largest I can find is a 10A voltage stabiliser. The issue we are having is that when the engines are running on the boat, the output voltage increases and if someone uses the toilet, the pump operates at a greater RPM, which has caused the belt to slip and break on a couple of occasions.

If someone can think of a better solution or knows of such a device, that would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Maybe you could go the way of a PWM control for the motor speed. Have an Arduino driving a FET and start PWM running when the battery voltage gets above a threshold. For lower battery volts, run full power, then back the PWM off as the voltage increases.
have a look at the many threads for PWM motor control.
The Arduino can read the battery volts, and with an Arduino, you can add motor run time control too if you want.
If you wanted, motor speed could be measured, and controlled.
Don't forget to put a big reverse diode across the motor.

s6stu

Joined Aug 29, 2019
Maybe you could go the way of a PWM control for the motor speed. Have an Arduino driving a FET and start PWM running when the battery voltage gets above a threshold. For lower battery volts, run full power, then back the PWM off as the voltage increases.
have a look at the many threads for PWM motor control.
The Arduino can read the battery volts, and with an Arduino, you can add motor run time control too if you want.
If you wanted, motor speed could be measured, and controlled.
Don't forget to put a big reverse diode across the motor.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll look into this, looks like I’ll have to dust off the soldering iron then!