12V LED light timer circuit

Onyx8789

Joined Apr 10, 2019
I am looking for a solution to make a series of LED lights turn on sequentially and stay on for a duration then all turn off. This would be continuous cycle and would repeat itself. I was thinking maybe an Arduino but it would have to be able to supply 12V to the LEDs for them to work. Anyone know of some way this can be done with either Arduinos or some kind of PCB board or simple circuitry? And if so what components or configuration would be required? I've attached a picture of what I'm trying to achieve. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Sounds like an 8-bit shift register (4 output stages plus a reset stage) plus some stuff. How many individual LEDs in each of the four stages?

Are the time increments for each stage identical?

Are these LEDs rated for 12 V directly (with current limiting built-in) or do you have a 12 V supply to run normal LEDs that need external current limiting?

LED part number / datasheet / link?

ak

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am looking for a solution to make a series of LED lights turn on sequentially and stay on for a duration then all turn off. This would be continuous cycle and would repeat itself. I was thinking maybe an Arduino but it would have to be able to supply 12V to the LEDs for them to work. Anyone know of some way this can be done with either Arduinos or some kind of PCB board or simple circuitry? And if so what components or configuration would be required? I've attached a picture of what I'm trying to achieve. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
What level is your coding skills?
Do you know how to use transistors!
Do you know how to use MOSFETs?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is the LTspice simulation of a circuit that does what (I think) you want.
It uses 4 D flip-flops (2 CD4013 packages) and one CD4011 chip
Two CD4011 Schmitt trigger NAND gates are configured as an astable oscillator to generate the sequence clock period (values shown give about 1 second).
FF's U1 through U4 are configured as a feedback shift-register, and outputs 1 through 4 are the desired sequence.

Depending upon the desired LED current, you may need to add a transistor driver at each output (such as a 2N7000).

upload_2019-4-22_16-26-42.png

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Stacker 2.png Find in Search Forums, 4017 Bargraph Style Sequencer, 2-6-2012, use first 4 stages for LEDs & remainder
as a delay before resetting.

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
An analog way would be to feed a sawtooth to an LM3914 set to the bar mode.
One advantage is that the LM3914 has 10 LED constant-current drivers.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
First pass, pretty much what Wally simulated but with a different Reset method because the Q- outputs are not available. To drive the unknown LEDs I used a ULN2804 8-channel driver, with two channels per LED stage. Of course there are lotsa other options, but with zero information about the LEDs this is a start.

ak
LED-Stepper-2.gif

Last edited: