12v - 36v DC motor to wall plug 220v ac

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Rectifying AC is connecting two wires from the transformer to a bridge rectifier and taking two wires from the other or DC terminals of a bridge rectifier to your load. Since your load is a motor, you may not need filtering, which is just a capacitor across the DC terminals.
I just pick any bridge rectifier with specifications that exceeds the output of the transformer and just solder it on right? No need for a capacitor since my only load is dc motor, could i moderate the speed with a potentiometer?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I just pick any bridge rectifier with specifications that exceeds the output of the transformer and just solder it on right? No need for a capacitor since my only load is dc motor, could i moderate the speed with a potentiometer?

Correct up to controlling speed with a pot. That likely won’t work unless the pot is connected to an ESC module.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I was on my way to bed when I posted that. Controlling speed of a motor with a pot can’t be done. Motor current is more than any pot can handle. Maybe a rheostat, but they’re expensive

Motors are controlled typically with PWM, pulse width modulation. The controllers then use a pot. ESC stands for electronic speed control. You can also search for a motor controller. Modules are available.

The module must be able to control the motor voltage. Plus, it’s current capacity must be able to handle the motors stall current.

(Motors have two current ratings. Stall or Startup current and Run current. The latter is the lower number)

Some controllers have inputs to control direction as well.

James Ibarra

Joined Apr 26, 2020
he controllers then use a po
I was on my way to bed when I posted that. Controlling speed of a motor with a pot can’t be done. Motor current is more than any pot can handle. Maybe a rheostat, but they’re expensive

Motors are controlled typically with PWM, pulse width modulation. The controllers then use a pot. ESC stands for electronic speed control. You can also search for a motor controller. Modules are available.

The module must be able to control the motor voltage. Plus, it’s current capacity must be able to handle the motors stall current.

(Motors have two current ratings. Stall or Startup current and Run current. The latter is the lower number)

Some controllers have inputs to control direction as well.
I have done my research and i'm now ready to start this project, I thought that I would build my own PWM controller so I could soak all the knowledge i can. Thanks for you help everyone! i hope that I don't run into any troubles! if I do then I'll just have to do more research or bump this thread and hope that someone can explain answers to my questions in the future! Thanks again!