12V-24V Off-grid Solar System

artskynet

Joined Apr 6, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am planing to setup a 12V/24V solar system at home with an inverted 220V output to supply my lightning and appliances. My problem is, what are the exact materials do I need to use in order to implement my project. We are average of 8,000 watts consumed per day. I know a lot of experts here can help on this project. Your comment is very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Things to be needed in solar energy:

Heavy loads:
7cu Refrigerator 24/7
1hp A/C for 5-6 hrs
5 kg washing twice a week

Target = 8kwh per day

Solar Panel = 100 watts (how many panels?)
Charger Controller = charges input capacity?
Inverter = what wattage?
Battery = how many and what ampere?
Volt meter = what type?
Automatic switch = what type? (if the grid goes down)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Realistically start with what justifications you have and what you can spend towards achieving them.

What is your primary motivation for the project?
How much money do you have available to spend?
What do you plan to gain from it?
How long would it take to pay for itself?

If you have grid power and can legally grid tie your solar panels to it to offset your present electrical bills that's the cheapest and most practical plus least labor/maintenance costly method you have to work with.

If you have unreliable grid power a engine driven diesel generator will far more reliable and of far less up front plus long term operational cost than a solar panel-battery-inverter based backup power system.

If you want to go solar because you cant afford grid power you definitely can't afford solar either being realistically the cost per KWH for such systems for both setup and general operation is way higher than grid power in both financial output and general maintenance efforts output.

If it's because you want to 'go green and save the world' download and read this book before doing anything.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7WT86rzx-R8C&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=self+help+books+for+being+less+gullible&source=bl&ots=RaXqGlX2N7&sig=DybIgrQFbWGJcNcoZYVEHNKmNLM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwik15fW3YXTAhUC5YMKHemNCssQ6AEIMjAE#v=onepage&q=self help books for being less gullible&f=false

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There is one other possibility. In some jurisdictions, the power company or government will pay you to tie into the grid and pay you more to input power than to consume power.

Hence you are better off financially to give all your generated power to the grid at the higher price and take from the grid at the lower price.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I don't understand this part ( the Automatic switch) if you are making an off grid system.
Are you also wanting to use the Power Company grid?
If you are completely off grid you can forget this part. If you now or ever will be tied into a power grid you want this.

On grid solar inverters actually connect to the power grid, can and often will drive power into the grid when the house is not drawing all the system can put out.

However, should the grid go down (blackout) your house too has to be shut off to break the grid tie, so your solar power doesn't kill a lineman working outside your home. If you have a manual or automatic cut off switch you can cut yourself off from the power grid and still run your home on solar.

N11778

Joined Dec 4, 2015
There is one other possibility. In some jurisdictions, the power company or government will pay you to tie into the grid and pay you more to input power than to consume power.

Hence you are better off financially to give all your generated power to the grid at the higher price and take from the grid at the lower price.
Where do they pay you, just curious. and if they do how long after you install your $23,000 system will they change their mind. I know you cant say, just making a point. The power company has changed their mind here say 20 to 40 times in the last 5 years. price up then down then up again. Then, If you have solar you can't have a dog loose at any time, they have the right to enter your property at any time. When I was trying to hook to the grid we caught them in the security cameras going around the property looking in sheds, carports, entire yard.

Hence we are as far of the grid as we can get, if it was just me here I would put in a few more batteries, panels and pull the plug on the GRID.

Do it for a hobby or Green, not the money , and stay away from the Government grid.
Sparky

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
However, should the grid go down (blackout) your house too has to be shut off to break the grid tie, so your solar power doesn't kill a lineman working outside your home.
What power company has linemen who are so stupid and improperly trained or so unconcerned for their lives that they would go to work a on a HV line they have not confirmed is powered down plus connected to a solid dead short ground in at least one if not two places within visual line of sight of where they are working? o_O

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Where do they pay you, just curious. and if they do how long after you install your $23,000 system will they change their mind. I know you cant say, just making a point. The power company has changed their mind here say 20 to 40 times in the last 5 years. price up then down then up again. Then, If you have solar you can't have a dog loose at any time, they have the right to enter your property at any time. When I was trying to hook to the grid we caught them in the security cameras going around the property looking in sheds, carports, entire yard.

Hence we are as far of the grid as we can get, if it was just me here I would put in a few more batteries, panels and pull the plug on the GRID.

Do it for a hobby or Green, not the money , and stay away from the Government grid.
Sparky
Here is the 2017 pricing for Feed-in Tariff program in Ontario, Canada.
The average consumption cost to residential users is about 5 to 8 cents/kWh, while they pay you 31.1 cents to feed it into the grid from roof-top solar PV.

20170101 FIT-microFIT.jpg