12 Volt paper capacitor.

Babu Mistry

Joined May 25, 2019
Hi Frind's,
Need some help, on winding a paper Capacitor.
It is 6...12 volt DC for a german hone used in ole Mercedes Benz.
It can be rewind need, by using paper and foil but need to know how long should be foil and how many rounds.
The capacitor is name is HOKO 1z1z 6...12 volt.
Anyone out there who can advise.
Thanks.

Lofty.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Unless you know the required capacitance, and the widths and thicknesses of the paper and foil, the length and number of turns can't be calculated. But can't you simply buy a modern replacement capacitor?
What is a 'hone'?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Looking at the internet it seems to be a Radio interference capacitor (arc supression capacitor).
Found on a german forum:
HOKO 1Z1Z 6 .. 12 Volt Länge 2,5 cm Durchmesser: 1 cm Es muss nicht das baugleiche Teil sein sofern die Maße einigermaßen passen Hallo Isettafreunde, für eine Bosch Hupe meiner Isetta bin ich auf der Suche nach einem Funkenstörkondensator. Bisher bin ich noch nicht fündig geworden. Bei dem vorhandenen Teil befindet sich folgende Aufschrift:
I just copied the text from the search engine, as the given link shows a login page:
https://www.isetta-club.de/clubforum/viewtopic.php?t=1693

Bertus

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
..... which Google translates as:
"12 volts Length 2.5 cm Diameter: 1 cm It does not have to be the same part as long as the dimensions are reasonably correct Hello Isetta friends, I am looking for a radio interference capacitor for a Bosch horn on my Isetta. So far I haven't found anything. The existing part has the following inscription:"

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
regarding the practicality of winding your own capacitor once yo have identified the parts,
I don't think you can just use "paper" and "foil" , you will probably need foil backed paper,

Then the capacitance will vary depending how tight the turns are made,
so you will have to replicate the original , which I bet was very tight

Then, I'd imagine the paper was impregnated with some oil, which I'd bet is now a banned substance,
Cacogenic et all. Which you would have to replicate.

An idea I have seen in similar situations, is to put a new capacitor , which is almost always smaller than the old, in side the old packaging, so it looks the same ,

Babu Mistry

Joined May 25, 2019
Unless you know the required capacitance and the widths and thicknesses of the paper and foil, the length and number of turns can't be calculated. But can't you simply buy a modern replacement capacitor?
What is a 'hone'?
The thickness is 11mm and the length is 26mm, it is used in Bosch hone for Mercedes Benz