1 switch controls 2 seperate lights

mgacuzar

Joined Oct 18, 2020
anyone knows what electronic device is connected between a 1-gang switch and 2 different light?

so the function is like this,

1st switch on - light-A lights up
1st switch off - light-A turns off
fast 2nd switch on - light-B on
2nd switch off - light-B off
fast 3rd switch on - both light up
3rd switch off - both turns off

thanks

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
A wire? Pretty simple. Put both A&B on switch 3. Maybe you need to clarify the logic a bit? A sketch would help.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
You said 3 switches? I only see one... You also said gang switch. Are you talking about a relay? Do you mean a single pushbutton that is pushed 3 times?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I have seen pull chain switches that will do something similar on ceiling fans. Pull once, HIGH SPEED, pull twice, SLOW SPEED, pull 3 times, OFF. They work by rotating an internal "wheel" by a ratchet mechanism.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I have seen pull chain switches that will do something similar on ceiling fans. Pull once, HIGH SPEED, pull twice, SLOW SPEED, pull 3 times, OFF. They work by rotating an internal "wheel" by a ratchet mechanism.
And that ratcheting mechanism is a mechanical implementation of a counter.

Use the single switch as a pulse to increment the counter. Wire successive outputs to the desired light combinations. You can use a 4017 ic as the counter as it provides discrete outputs.

There are several sub-problems to be solved. How to isolate the A+B output from the individual lights (diodes), making the lights go off between each state... (maybe a dual edge detector circuit to pulse on both switch closed and switch open states and using a dead output between states), debouncing the switch... I think that’s all but I haven’t made a complete design; just presented the basic concepts.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Sounds like a touch lamp with dimmer. Touch it once and it's on low. Touch it again and it's on medium. Touch again, high.

Bought a couple of those modules and put them in a plastic double gang box and wired them to two independent extension cords. Now I can plug any lamp I want into the extension and the tapping of a sensing wire will turn the lamps on either side of the bed on low, medium or high without having to get out of bed. Convenient for turning the lights on and getting in bed, then turning the lights off. Lazy - yeah, I know.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
anyone knows what electronic device is connected between a 1-gang switch and 2 different light?

so the function is like this,

1st switch on - light-A lights up
1st switch off - light-A turns off
fast 2nd switch on - light-B on
2nd switch off - light-B off
fast 3rd switch on - both light up
3rd switch off - both turns off

thanks
Which switch over rides the other? For example, 3rd switch ON, 1st switch OFF, what happens to Light A?
Is the Lamp condition dependent on the Change in Switch Position or the Switch Position?

I think a Truth Table will make it clearer.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I believe he's talking about a single switch activated (and probably held for set periods of time) to get one of three different outputs. Though the drawing he provided shows a green wire going to "?".

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Is this a university project? There is a surfeit of new members asking the same question or a slight variant. See user Anderson for example.