Capacitors in a non-linear circuit

cade007

Joined Apr 14, 2006
the capacitors just act as a filter for any DC voltages. If you think about the impedance of a capacitor in the frequency domain, 1/SC, depending on the frequency and the value of the cap the impedance will vary based on that. So when it says that the cap's have little impedance at the frequency of the voltage source, they can just be treated as a short circuit in the small signal model.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
"...under the assumption that the capacitors possess negligible impedance at the frequency of the voltage source..."

Looks to me like they are DC blocking caps - used to couple the AC to each respective diode.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
"...under the assumption that the capacitors possess negligible impedance at the frequency of the voltage source..."

Looks to me like they are DC blocking caps - used to couple the AC to each respective diode.
I agree. They are not intended to do any filtering.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Still no luck with downloading or viewing any of your files. Sorry.
What seems to be the problem Papabravo? From both my personal and work PC all the attached files download fine. I know that there are certain issues with viewing some PDFs on the web with Adobe Acrobat 6, so would recommend looking into upgrading to version 7 (there are also several security upgrades from version 6). As for the Word documents, I cannot comment - have you experienced the same problems on other sites you've visited?

Can everyone else view the files?

Dave

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
What seems to be the problem Papabravo? From both my personal and work PC all the attached files download fine. I know that there are certain issues with viewing some PDFs on the web with Adobe Acrobat 6, so would recommend looking into upgrading to version 7 (there are also several security upgrades from version 6). As for the Word documents, I cannot comment - have you experienced the same problems on other sites you've visited?

Dave
At home, I can view the files with no problem. At work, I have to save them to disk first. I suspect it's a security thing, perhaps between XP Home and XP Pro. I usually just save them to my desktop.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
At home, I can view the files with no problem. At work, I have to save them to disk first. I suspect it's a security thing, perhaps between XP Home and XP Pro. I usually just save them to my desktop.
I can download the files on Windows XP Home, Professional and Media Center. I suspect that it may be a web browser quirk: If I attempt to open the files with IE6 with security settings set to Medium, it tells me that the file cannot be found. If I attempt to open the files with Opera 9, it opens the files no problem. I would say it was a security feature of IE6, but then that would be a first!

Dave

Rail Ranger

Joined Aug 22, 2006

Dave
i'm using reader 7 of acrobat, and oddly, i can't just open a pdf online, i have to save as...to my drive, and then open. perhaps papabravo needs to do the same?

BrunoEE

Joined Sep 6, 2006
You are all correct. The capacitors can simply be replaced by a short circuit in this case (given the assumption of negligible imp. at the source frequencies). Therefore, the desired voltage waveforms act as a scaled & rectified value of the source, dependant upon voltage division and each diode's rectification.