Zenith VCR Controller

TBird

Joined Mar 22, 2006
Need some HELP! I have called at least 8 Zenith Customer Assist numbers - to no avail! They just keep shuffling me from phone to phone.

I recently purchased a ZENITH ZEV208 VCR CONTROLLER. The enclosed instructions state:

1)For use with motion sensor activated camera systems.
2)Compatible with ZEV200/ZEV203 motion sensor activated cameras.
3)Only compatible with (PIR) motion detector camera.

I already have a wireless camera system (ASTAK Model: CM812T) that includes the wireless receiver to record with the VCR or play on the TV.

This ASTAK camera system will operate independently of the ZEV208 VCR Controller.

The ASTAK camera system does not have a "DISTRIBUTION" box to connect the ZEV208 Controller to a PIR Motion Sensor like the Zenith ZEV200/ZEV203.

I intend to have the ZEV208 operate concurrent with my present camera system and turn the VCR "ON" and "OFF" to save tape when motion is detected by a separate PIR motion detector. (The ZEV208 does have "learning" capability from the VCR remote control.)

QUESTION: Could anyone suggest, or do you know, of a "BATTERY OPERATED PIR MOTION DETECTOR" ( <$50) that can be used to activate the ZEV208?

Any suggestion on how to activate this controller, besides using the Zenith ZEV200 or ZEV203 cameras, will be appreciated.

There is no electrical schematic with the instructions, so I have no idea what the electrical "INPUT" requirements are. I DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE THIS UNIT WITH IMPROPER VOLTAGE/AMP INPUT.

The only information I have for installation is to plug the RJ45 (3 wire, red, black & blue) plug into the AUX Socket of a Distribution Box which apparently comes with the Zenith camera systems.

Thanks,
TBird

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by TBird@Mar 22 2006, 07:53 PM
Need some HELP! I have called at least 8 Zenith Customer Assist numbers - to no avail! They just keep shuffling me from phone to phone.

I recently purchased a ZENITH ZEV208 VCR CONTROLLER. The enclosed instructions state:

1)For use with motion sensor activated camera systems.
2)Compatible with ZEV200/ZEV203 motion sensor activated cameras.
3)Only compatible with (PIR) motion detector camera.

I already have a wireless camera system (ASTAK Model: CM812T) that includes the wireless receiver to record with the VCR or play on the TV.

This ASTAK camera system will operate independently of the ZEV208 VCR Controller.

The ASTAK camera system does not have a "DISTRIBUTION" box to connect the ZEV208 Controller to a PIR Motion Sensor like the Zenith ZEV200/ZEV203.

I intend to have the ZEV208 operate concurrent with my present camera system and turn the VCR "ON" and "OFF" to save tape when motion is detected by a separate PIR motion detector. (The ZEV208 does have "learning" capability from the VCR remote control.)

QUESTION: Could anyone suggest, or do you know, of a "BATTERY OPERATED PIR MOTION DETECTOR" ( <$50) that can be used to activate the ZEV208?

Any suggestion on how to activate this controller, besides using the Zenith ZEV200 or ZEV203 cameras, will be appreciated.

There is no electrical schematic with the instructions, so I have no idea what the electrical "INPUT" requirements are. I DO NOT WANT TO DAMAGE THIS UNIT WITH IMPROPER VOLTAGE/AMP INPUT.

The only information I have for installation is to plug the RJ45 (3 wire, red, black & blue) plug into the AUX Socket of a Distribution Box which apparently comes with the Zenith camera systems.

Thanks,
TBird
[post=15326]Quoted post[/post]​
It is too bad that you cannot get the support that you need from the manufacturer. I think they are really your only hope. Is there any chance that the place you bought the equipment would have better access to customer service than you do?

TBird

Joined Mar 22, 2006
Thanks Papabravo,
I will continue to try to contact Zenith or Heath-Zenith for some help but I'm not holding my breath. I bought this for $20(new, in the original box) from a guy on E-Bay and he didn't know any technical information about it, so he is of no help.

Antiquated as VCR "tape" recorders are in this digital world, this will be perfect (and cheap!) if I can get the VCR controller to work with an independent PIR Motion Sensor. There are still a bunch of these out there on the internet and somebody (besides the Zenith engineer that designed this) must know what the input voltage, etc. interface is with the PIR Detector. I'll just keep trying until I find out!
Thanks, TBird

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by TBird@Mar 23 2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks Papabravo,
I will continue to try to contact Zenith or Heath-Zenith for some help but I'm not holding my breath. I bought this for $20(new, in the original box) from a guy on E-Bay and he didn't know any technical information about it, so he is of no help.

Antiquated as VCR "tape" recorders are in this digital world, this will be perfect (and cheap!) if I can get the VCR controller to work with an independent PIR Motion Sensor. There are still a bunch of these out there on the internet and somebody (besides the Zenith engineer that designed this) must know what the input voltage, etc. interface is with the PIR Detector. I'll just keep trying until I find out!
Thanks, TBird
[post=15357]Quoted post[/post]​
Now I understand. It was my impression that Zenith and Heath-Zenith were completely out of business, I'm actually surprised to hear they can still be contacted at all. The publisher, Howard Sams & Co., used to publish schematics and guides to obsolete and out of date products like televisions. They had a product called "photofact" I think. In the technology of the day they would photograph schematics and manuals an then reproduce them from the photgraphs.

Good Luck

TBird

Joined Mar 22, 2006
Thanks for the great reference to Howard Sams & Co. I immediately bookmarked this reference source.

I did a search on their website at: www.samswebsite.com but they don't have anything on it at present. They asked me to submit a request to add the model numbers to their inventory. I submitted the model numbers for the Controller and the cameras. Maybe they can find the information for me.

I contacted Heathkit/Zenith in Benton Harbor, MI and he referred me to a company called DESA, INC. who apparently bought out Zenith Security. I still have to contact them by phone or mail. They do have all kinds of security stuff! Their home page: www.desaint.com