Your plastic money is easily copied

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
largely cash-free economy has cut costs and reduced crime rate
It is much easier to steal billions of dollars virtually than in cash.

The push for chipped cards started in the earlier 1990s. Two things detered its adoption in the US:

1) low crime rate and better / lower cost technology: the chipped cards were a way to instantly authenticate a card at the time of sale, without making a call to the processing bank. This allows the transaction to be processed in batch at end of the day, as real time phone calls were expensive in Europe. Many of the POS terminals in the US were moved to authentication via IP network so it was low cost / real time practically.

2) cost of new terminals, multiplied by their sheer number.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I had a wife like that. I called it, "Having all the debt you can service"...kind of like our Government.
You gots credit? Spend until it's all you can do to pay the minimum each month. Somehow, that's a sign of Prestige.:confused:

Yea it's very much a case of not having the life style and income she would prefer so fake it.

We should be signing divorce papers some time next week. :D

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Feel the joy. There's no hard feelings on either side here. ;)

Things just didn't work out. She wants to live the rich life (mostly at someone else's expense) and I don't want to work that hard for something I don't believe in let alone see any gain from.

We are both working to make this a as peaceful break as possible. She will live in town on her own and I stay where I am now. Neither of us is pushing to get anything from the other either as well.

The agreements paperwork is drawn up and we just need a to have it notarized before turning it into the courthouse. :)

Odds are if anything things will improve between us. :cool:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm afraid that a cashless society is the perfect dream of a totalitarian government.
Imagine being able to track every single citizen's economic transaction.
That pretty much sums up my concerns. I am not a conspiracy nut, but it does seem to me governments tend to grab more and more power over time, and this is an avenue to really control and intimidate people over time.

My needs are simple, enough to support my writing and electron pushing habit, and have a roof over my head and food on the table. Internet a must.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I'm afraid that a cashless society is the perfect dream of a totalitarian government.
Imagine being able to track every single citizen's economic transaction.
That was the first that came to my mind when I read the news about Sweden.

I still recall someone giving me a 50 cents coin of our pesos, ca. 1952, worth a big ice cream cone. What an experience! Now that would be just a stupid impersonal clerical gesture of sweeping a card... in my own terminal. As kid, should I issue a receipt. . .? Probably my online controlling bank would do.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Oh my. Without a wife to bash online, who or what will be your outlet? I hope you don't fill the void by going full-on troll mode.
Odds are my general disposition will improve. I won't have anyone trying to force their lifelong and somewhat unrealistic wants, wishes, views and control on me day in and day out. ;)

Personally I am just want to see how she plans to add $1000+ more a month of living expense to herself when she cant manage to live on her $45K+ a year base pay now where she has less than $500 a month in actual living expenditures coming out of her near $3000 a month base take home pay. :eek:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
For real? I don't know whether to express sorrow or joy for you. Sorrow for what could/should have been, but joy for what will come.
I wouldn't be surprised if TCM too her "new" boyfriend out to dinner to thank him for taking her off his hands, or maybe that was taking her hands out of his wallet. :)

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if TCM too her "new" boyfriend out to dinner to thank him for taking her off his hands, or maybe that was taking her hands out of his wallet. :)
I have serious doubts that any guy would want her.

When it comes to other people's personalities and quirks I am one of the most easy going and patient guys ever and I have had enough so what does that tell you?

To be honest she used the 'I'm going to leave if you don't XYZ blah blah blah' threat one time too many and I just called her out on it to either follow through or shut it. :p

Still half way think she is bluffing being she has been above average nice by her standards nice all week and then some.:D