XP Experts needed

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
I do have an Acronis back up, I was hoping there would be a simpler fix before going ahead.
I have a laptop with win10, but I have alot of programs that run under XP.
Max.
Hi Max,
I use the acronis tool from Seagate and make once a week an image copy.( sata disk(s) in tray(s)).
And each day a USB data backup from that day.
Cost one extra disk but up and running in start-up time.

Picbuster

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
Hello,

Couldn't you find the "any key"?

I quit using windows when there was a virus hose for windows 98SE.
I am quite happy with linux now.

Bertus
I run FTP, HTTP, proxy, SSH and 2 gaming servers from a Win7 based home server.

If you knew how many attempted network intrusions I get, which are all aimed at exploiting Linux, you might think twice ;)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I run FTP, HTTP, proxy, SSH and 2 gaming servers from a Win7 based home server.

If you knew how many attempted network intrusions I get, which are all aimed at exploiting Linux, you might think twice ;)
I'd like to know how many... and how you're able to detect them

Lyonspride

Joined Jan 6, 2014
I'd like to know how many... and how you're able to detect them
My FTP logs show hundreds of attempts at brute forcing username/passwords, most commonly using the default account info on newly installed Linux based setups. It's already auto-blocked more than 50 IP addresses.

My SSH server captured hundreds of brute force attacks, again trying to exploit accounts and usernames commonly used in Linux based systems.

My router has shown connection attempts and port scanning activity to ports used by both MS remote desktop and Linux.

Some of these attacks have lasted as long as 4 hours and ALL of the attacks originated in Russia, China, Ukraine or Croatia.

The reason they attack Linux systems is because creating viruses and malware is no longer about simply being an annoyance, it's about attacking infrastructure and making money. It used to be that attacks were Linux script kiddies attacking MS Windows for the hell of it, but now with most servers being based around Linux, there's more money in attacking and hijacking those systems.

I understand that i'm being attacked because running gaming servers (nothing too intensive) is like putting up a flag saying "hey come get me", but they assume the servers are in some data centre and not in someones house.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

A reinstall would clear everyrthing bad out of there.

There is a disk wiper utility that zeros out the bytes, then writes all 1's, then writes random bytes to the entire disk. It was once used by the Dept of Defense. The overwrites can be done several times, but it was reported that just one time is just as good as two or more times.
It's a free download, just search for DoD compliant disk wiper. Use the DOD 5220.22m option.

I've used this several times now and it does take some time to run (could be several hours for a large hard drive) but if you are worried about anything being left on the disk then that's a good option.
A 750GB hard drive took about 12 hours to clear completely. After that the disk is ready to accept a new op system.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
There is a disk wiper utility...
Windows is so quaint. Imagine an operating system where you actually have to spend time/money acquiring software to perform basic OS operations.

A simple one line script in Linux does the same thing, no additional software required:

for n in `seq 7`; do dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda bs=8b conv=notrunc; done

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Windows is so quaint. Imagine an operating system where you actually have to spend time/money acquiring software to perform basic OS operations.

A simple one line script in Linux does the same thing, no additional software required:

Hi,

I always meant to get back to Linux one day to work with it again, but there are so many versions out there and one i used one time did not support by graphics card.
What version do you use these days and how good is the support for different hardwares?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Hi,

I always meant to get back to Linux one day to work with it again, but there are so many versions out there and one i used one time did not support by graphics card.
What version do you use these days and how good is the support for different hardwares?
Until last month, I would have recommended Ubuntu. But they have discontinued Unity support (the desktop that I like) in favor of Gnome 3 (which I do not like). It is still possible to (easily) run Unity on Ubuntu, but compatibility -- I am sure -- will wane over time.

Most seem to like Mint Cinnamon these days. The nice thing about it is that it has a very WinXP/Win7 interface.

Hardware compatibility is mostly a non-issue today, except for @#12. Make a boot USB first to confirm you will have no problems.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013

You can also use the Windows format command, give it the /P:n switch where n= number of passes. I'm a Linux fan as well, but Windows is delivered with a much more powerful shell than most people realize.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
Just a quick Question on a thread of known competency and related to my own curiosity. (No hijack intended Max)

I'm having to move to a new toughbook (CF30) from my old XP cf28, and can get Win7 or win 10. I'm really leaning toward 7. Any strong reasons to go 10? The machine should have a long life.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Go Win10, it will be supported longer so security patches will be available for longer. It is also likely more secure than Win7 overall. There are some vulnerabilities affecting 10 that do not affect 7, but probably more that affect 7 that are addressed in 10. Plus driver and software support for Win10 should continue after Win7 has been retired. IMHO, unless you have a specific compelling reason to stay with 7, I would choose 10.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A while back I purchased a Lap top with Win7 soon after I received the offer of free upgrade, which I allowed.
I only use it maybe once a week, but almost every time I fire it up I have to wait for the 'Current Upgrades' to be loaded.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My question is how much will this cost us in the future. It may be a free thing now, but do they intend to try to charge by the month at some point for Win 10? I hope you know more about this than i do :)
Personally, I didn't entirely like Windows before. But now I'm truly beginning to despise it.

It's become too intrusive and has taken an iron grip on all hardware resources in such a way that now it's virtually impossible to directly talk to them without Mr Gate's nasty product getting in the way. It's also sneaked into our privacy by forcing its users to share personal data for financial purposes.

It has now become my personal goal to buy another PC and start learning Linux. The end purpose being abandoning MS's products entirely, if it were possible.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My question is how much will this cost us in the future. It may be a free thing now, but do they intend to try to charge by the month at some point for Win 10? I hope you know more about this than i do :)
I don't know and it doesn't concern me.

I don't do Windows.