Xor gate question

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is not a difficult thing to do. The XOR gates need to be connected between the controllers and the H-Bridge. Connect both controller outputs to the XOR gate, and the gate outputs to the H-Brindge drivers. When both controllers try to drive at the same time, the gate outputs will be off, and thus drivers won't be driven.
Only if they are trying to drive the same direction at the same time. If they are trying to drive in opposite directions, both H-Bridge drivers will try to drive HI. Now, this may be okay since the coil shouldn't be engaged under those conditions.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
what is a good program to draw circuits with to give you experts a good idea of what I am doing
Sorry to say, I don't know. I use Visio, but it is not free. Someone else will have good suggestions, I'm sure. Once you have a good, free package for diagrams, you'll want to always use it for project documentation and archive.

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
Sorry to say, I don't know. I use Visio, but it is not free. Someone else will have good suggestions, I'm sure. Once you have a good, free package for diagrams, you'll want to always use it for project documentation and archive.
ok thanks this is off topic so I will keep it short Visio is ok what to I look up I will buy it that’s no problem I would rather buy what I need vs a free download and being forced to make do

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
Only if they are trying to drive the same direction at the same time. If they are trying to drive in opposite directions, both H-Bridge drivers will try to drive HI. Now, this may be okay since the coil shouldn't be engaged under those conditions.
yes, if both drivers try to drive high then the Gate will stop anything from working correct.........if this is true that’s perfect I only want this to be in place as fail safe feature just incase both H- Bridges are engaged at the same time

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You could replace the XOR with a "A and NOTB" function. That would mitigate any issues for both controllers driving at the same time in opposite directions.

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
You could replace the XOR with a "A and NOTB" function. That would mitigate any issues for both controllers driving at the same time in opposite directions.
what would you do in my situation can you even give an example based on the info I have given

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
what would you do in my situation can you even give an example based on the info I have given
I assumed that you knew what you needed, and only required help in implementing it. It the XOR works, then go with it. I can't make any more recommendations based on the information you've provided so far....

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
I assumed that you knew what you needed, and only required help in implementing it. It the XOR works, then go with it. I can't make any more recommendations based on the information you've provided so far....
ok yea I think I have this figured out thanks for all the help I know there are several ways to do this but in my situation this seems to be the answer again thanks for helping

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
One way to do it is to use transistors in a wired-OR configuration. You might use something like this:

NOTE: The emitters in the following diagram should all be grounded. Forgot to add the ground symbol.

Your Arduino outputs could be whatever voltage level was convenient. If this looks to be of interest, we can flesh it out more, including component values.

Attachments

Last edited:

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
One way to do it is to use transistors in a wired-OR configuration. You might use something like this:

Your Arduino outputs could be whatever voltage level was convenient. If this looks to be of interest, we can flesh it out more, including component values.
now this seems like it may work better would you mind adding the component values and show me what the final version would look like...............really wish I could do this myself im just not up to date on all of my available components or there functions

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'll meet you half way. You look through the spec for your H-Bridge and determine, for 24V operation, what the maximum input current is (should be really small, perhaps even negligible) and also what the minimum voltage at the input is that will be recognized as a HI and also the maximum voltage at the input is that will be recognized as a LO. These are typically called Vihmin and Vilmax, respectively, in digital parts.

Also, determine what the voltage output level will be for your Arduino and what the maximum output current is that it can supply while maintaining a HI output level.

Also, how fast or frequently will the coil be turned on and off?

Put that information together and then I will walk through the component calculations to show you how to size them, so that if you change things in the future you can resize them yourself.

jludwig83

Joined Jul 22, 2013
I'll meet you half way. You look through the spec for your H-Bridge and determine, for 24V operation, what the maximum input current is (should be really small, perhaps even negligible) and also what the minimum voltage at the input is that will be recognized as a HI and also the maximum voltage at the input is that will be recognized as a LO. These are typically called Vihmin and Vilmax, respectively, in digital parts.

Also, determine what the voltage output level will be for your Arduino and what the maximum output current is that it can supply while maintaining a HI output level.

Also, how fast or frequently will the coil be turned on and off?

Put that information together and then I will walk through the component calculations to show you how to size them, so that if you change things in the future you can resize them yourself.
I will do as asked but it may take me some time I am busy with other projects this week so if I dont post this info its because I am working on something else

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I will do as asked but it may take me some time I am busy with other projects this week so if I dont post this info its because I am working on something else
That's fine. I'll get an e-mail notification whenever you get around to posting in this thread again and we can take it from there.