Work at home - is it possible?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Of course it's possible. There are several ways to do it. The most obvious one is to start your own business and run it from your home.

Now, how practical it is to do this is a VERY different question and depends on all kinds of details about many things -- what kind of engineering work you are talking about, who you will be doing it for, what kind of equipment do you need to be effective, do you have the kind of personality that can work effectively from home, etc., etc..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Very possible. I have done it for years.
Many aspects of HW and SW design can be done from home, web design, hw simulation, diagnostics, test and calibration, sw development, hw design, IOT, course development, training, etc, etc.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, one of my son-in-laws and a nephew do that at home, in the car, while watching children's soccer, at McDonalds, and at 5 AM when the son-in-law and family visit.

It's really quite easy to be successful, if you are willing to do it 24/7. The son-in-law writes apps for smart phones, among other things. The nephew used to do video games, but now is chief programmer for a silicon valley company.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
One thing to keep in mind is that this question has a very different answer if you are asking it as a senior EE undergrad student about to graduate versus someone with twenty years of industry experience. In most situations, in order to have a reasonable chance of success, you need to have enough experience so that you can do everything that you are going to offer to do with little or no support from anyone else. That's not to say that you will be working in a vacuum all the time, but most of the time you are going to have to be very self-reliant to solve many of the problems that come up on your own -- and that's not only the problems that you are being paid to solve, but also all of the problems that you WILL have with hardware and software that you will be using.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
In today's connected world that shouldn't be a problem.
How many problems do we solve each day on AAC and never have met face-to-face?

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
In today's connected world that shouldn't be a problem.
How many problems do we solve each day on AAC and never have met face-to-face?
Actually, many people on AAC get into arguments (see the off topic section) without meeting face to face, so it shouldn't be a problem to work from home. :)

BiscuitPOR

Joined Sep 3, 2015
I want to thank you all for the replies I've been receiving so far.

I just wanted to add something to the thread so you guys can know me better.

Im a young Telecommunication and Networks Tech, with 5 years of experience, with a steady job.

I've always wanted to be an engineer but couple months ago I found out I have a degenerative illness that is screwing my mobility. I wont be able to be a physically active worker. So thats the reason why I want to work at home. Its a safer option for my future.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Not all companies will entertain working from home 100% of the time. When they do, they generally only consider it for people who are experienced and have a proven track record of hitting deadlines with high quality work.

At my last job, there was an individual who had MS. He still showed up to work everyday in his motorized wheelchair. He couldn't do much for himself, so he had a care provider with him constantly. His contributions to the company were so significant that they went out of their way to accommodate his disability.