Woo hoo! I am going to be rich!

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I just got a post card saying I am in a class action lawsuit:
http://www.capacitorsindirectcase.com/

If You Bought an Electrolytic or Film Capacitor Directly From Certain Distributors Since 2002, You Could Get Money From Settlements Totaling Approximately $15 Million

I figure that I bought, at most, $10 worth of caps. Lets see if the lawyers get 1/4 of $10 and I get the rest I fugure that I can retire in luxury.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

If You Bought an Electrolytic or Film Capacitor Directly From Certain Distributors Since 2002, You Could Get Money From Settlements Totaling Approximately $15 Million

I figure that I bought, at most, $10 worth of caps. Lets see if the lawyers get 1/4 of $10 and I get the rest I fugure that I can retire in luxury.
Me too, but what I thought I seen was if you don't contact them it's a minimum of $300 to $400 in the settlement and that you have to opt out to not be charged.

But, I didn't really proof it. Thats just what I got out of it.

kv

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

You are going to have to share it all with me because I got my card too. But $7.5M each isn't too bad is it?

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
What a typical legalistic load of male cow poo.So they "conspired" to sell capacitors at a certain price. Who noticed! Why don't they go after real conspirators like oil companies and banks who really conspire to fix prices and screw us over.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The attorneys are going to ask for 25% of the settlement ($3,737,500) PLUS expenses of $2,558,454 -- so a total of $6,295,954, or 42% of the total.

I suspect that almost all of the rest of the money will go a handful of large purchasers that are in a position to easily produce the purchase records for huge numbers of capacitors. So even if you could produce records establishing that you bought a thousand capacitors that qualified you probably wouldn't receive enough money to cover the cost of the stamp needed to send in your claim.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What a typical legalistic load of male cow poo.So they "conspired" to sell capacitors at a certain price. Who noticed! Why don't they go after real conspirators like oil companies and banks who really conspire to fix prices and screw us over.
If the oil companies are conspiring to fix prices, they aren't very good at it. When I first started driving, gas (regular, leaded gas, unleaded was about 10% higher) was $1.389/gal (that has always stuck in my mind because that is what I paid the first time I filled up the tank on my car). If gas had ONLY kept up with inflation and nothing more, it would now cost $4.106/gal. Yet it is barely half of that. You should would think that these huge, evil, price fixers could have at LEAST screwed us into paying for inflation!

EDIT: Put decimal points where they belong.

Last edited:

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
When I first started driving, gas (regular, leaded gas, unleaded was about 10% higher) was $138.9/gal (that has always stuck in my mind because that is what I paid the first time I filled up the tank on my car). If gas had ONLY kept up with inflation and nothing more, it would now cost $410.6/gal.
Where in the world is gas more than $400 a gallon?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sorry (again)... I thought that it was self-explanatory. What was said was gas was $138.9/gal. What should have been said was gas was $1.389/gal. You non-US citizens might not have understood the placement of the decimal point.

No he was missing a period that is all. Gas prices are always .9 on the price. So it should have been $1.38.9 On the signs it is $1.38 9/10 actually. And $4.10.9

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
No such thing as a "double decimal" point as you show. Gas, in the US, is sold in cents per gallon, so what you see is 138.9 on the signs.

I know, I'm nit-picking.
Yes there is for gasoline. Sort of.

Like I wrote above. Gasoline always has 9/10 of a cent added to it. I guess it makes it look like a better price. So it is written $2.99 9/10 on the sign. So it could be written $2.99.09 or more correctly $2.99 + .09.

upload_2017-4-7_22-46-11.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So what is 3.437.128 + 13.5.86 ?

A double decimal point is meaningless.

While unconventional, 2.99 9/10 is actually consistent with a positional numbering system.

a.bcd = (a·10^0) + (b·10^-1) + (c·10^-2) + (d·10^-3)

The decimal point is there to indicate which place has a weight with a zero exponent. If there are two decimal points, then there is no way to tell.

In this case:

a = 2
b = 9
c = 9
d = 9/10

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Getting back to the topic. I don't know about Richard but when I collect my $7.5M for buying a couple of capacitors, I will be throwing a big party at my house. Everyone at AAC is invited. I suggest you start booking your plane tickets now to avoid the rush.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Getting back to the topic. I don't know about Richard but when I collect my $7.5M for buying a couple of capacitors, I will be throwing a big party at my house. Everyone at AAC is invited. I suggest you start booking your plane tickets now to avoid the rush.
If you're a payin', them I'm a buyin'!! :D

Though it if was me, I'd be throwing a big party at me NEW house!