WL18MODGB UFL hookup

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by PaBz0r, Mar 4, 2018.

1. PaBz0r

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Hi All,

Long story short, this morning I decided to open up a device where I expected to find a ufl connector inside. To my horror they only made provision for it and I am not very clued up on what needs to be moved to enable it. If anybody can guide me, it would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached some photos and the technical details I could find, but it seems as if the pcb antenna is different to the one described.

Pokerfjes likes this.
  2. Pokerfjes

Aug 18, 2018
    How interesting, I have the same card :).

There are four versions of this design, and the test grade is what indicate which model we have.
    01 = wlan 2.4GHz only
    05 = wlan 2.4GHz with MIMO (two antennas required)
    31 = wlan 2.4GHz and bluetooth
    35 = wlan 2.4GHz with MIMO and bluetooth

I'm going to have someone add the connector for me and hopefully it is all that is needed :).
    wl1801MOD-ufl-bom.JPG wl1801.jpg

3. maximallimit

Aug 29, 2018
    Hi mate, I am trying to add an external antenna to the exact same board. Did you manage to find out where it needs to be soldered on the board?

Cheers, Paul

4. PaBz0r

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 4, 2018
    You can add a UFL connector the the pad, but to enable to move the 0ohm resistor.

I am unsure whether this is the most optimum way of connecting it, as there are other components used for matching the chip antenna.

If somebody could please advise on this, it would really be appreciated. The documentation does not have any matching components before the ufl trace and a capacitor is used to connect the ufl trace. So it is a bit confusing.

5. Arroow

Nov 9, 2018
    Looking to similar boards it seems that the UFL needs to be connected straight to the wifi unit with only the 10pF capacitor in between..

[​IMG]