Is there a device to hookup to cellphone charger

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Helo
At&t sale person say cellphone don't have circuit built in the phone to stop charger from over charging the battery is that true?
If that is true , is there device to hookup to phone to stop the phone from being over charging the phone battery?
mrel

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Helo
At&t sale person say cellphone don't have circuit built in the phone to stop charger from over charging the battery is that true?
If that is true , is there device to hookup to phone to stop the phone from being over charging the phone battery?
mrel
No that is not true. All modern cell phones control the charge rate of their battery as has been covered. Never place any technical stock in what a sales person tells you. Just make sure you plug the phone into a proper power source.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The best sales personnel are adept at feeding you BS. In some cases they know not what they speak of. Mother-in-law bought a vacuum. Sales person told her NOT to wrap the cord around the two tangs meant for wrapping up the cord. HE told her that it would break the wires inside. While fatigue CAN break the wires, the vacuum cord often comes with a - I'm going to call it a string just to differentiate it from the wires. That string gives strength to the cord so that if you accidentally (or sometimes deliberately) pull it, it doesn't break. MIL swore at me saying I knew nothing about the vacuum and that the sales rep would know all about their product. Obviously not. Just some kid who heard something that wasn't necessarily true and he developed his own "Official Educated" guess; and was wrong.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
On another forum, this same or similar question about disconnecting the charger said that the cell phone and battery were very cheap No-Name-Brands sold on Amazon. The warranty was for only 30 days. Maybe the manufacturer did not use a detect full charge then disconnect charging circuit.

Rich:-)

Joined Oct 14, 2016
If you wanted to maximise battery life (as in minimise deterioration with age) then some believe you should charge when down to approx 25% and stop charging at 80%'ish.
To do this you could run an app that requires your phone to have been rooted, or alternatively you could plug your charger in to the mains via a timer and then experiment to find out how many minutes are needed to give you the desired top up charge.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If you wanted to maximise battery life (as in minimise deterioration with age) then some believe you should charge when down to approx 25% and stop charging at 80%'ish.
Battery memory is what you're talking about. I know that many rechargeable batteries have memories. However, and I don't know this for a fact - but - Lithium Ion (or other lithium based batteries) doesn't have a memory. Some people repeat what they heard as if they are the authority on the subject when in fact they're just repeating something someone else said. And who knows where they heard it from.

Generally speaking, with my cell phones (mine and my wife's) I charge them when they need charging. Usually during the overnight hours, and the battery power is far below 50%. I can't tell you I charge them when they reach X% because I don't know that I do that. When I see it's low I charge it. And sometimes my phone(s) is(are) left on the charger for a few days. Not for any particular reason, just that we didn't get around to picking up the phone that day. And we're not the sort that live on our phones.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
A Cell phone uses a Lithium battery and has a charger circuit in the phone that detects a full charge then turns off the charging to prevent an over-charge.
On another forum there was a very cheap phone bought at Amazon and it keeps over-charging the battery and disconnects the charging only when the battery catches on fire.

Scott15

Joined Aug 25, 2021
Helo
mrel
walgreenslistens

Inductive battery chargers use electromagnetic induction to charge batteries. A charging station sends electromagnetic energy through inductive coupling to an electrical device, which stores the energy in the batteries. This is achieved without the need for metal contacts between the charger and the battery.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Inductive battery chargers use electromagnetic induction to charge batteries. A charging station sends electromagnetic energy through inductive coupling to an electrical device, which stores the energy in the batteries. This is achieved without the need for metal contacts between the charger and the battery.
This is just one of a couple methods of charging a cell phone. However, as far as I know, ALL cell phones have a battery management system internally to control charging of the battery. However the manufacturer designed the phone, there IS a control for the battery charge. Charging rate (amperage to the cell phone) can make a difference in how fast the battery charges. Using a 2.4A charger will charge the phone faster than a 1.2A charger simply because there's more power available. IF you were to connect to a power source that had the right voltage (probably 5V) with the capability of 100 amps - the phone will still limit the rate at which the phone battery is charged. The phone will only use as much power as is needed. Even if the source were 1,000,000 amps.

Whether you plug the phone in - or set it on a wireless charger - the phone will regulate the battery charge rate and charge level. Otherwise if it doesn't then chances for a pocket fire are extremely likely. The phone battery will over charge and catch fire - if not explode.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
No that is not true. All modern cell phones control the charge rate of their battery as has been covered. Never place any technical stock in what a sales person tells you. Just make sure you plug the phone into a proper power source.

Ron
Just had this convo with girlfriend. Apple iPhone 11/12 will be damaged by any non-specific Apple charger. Apple changed the charge cable terminations. A $3.00 adapter from Amazon will do the trick.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If Apple really did that they will have a nice class action suit filed against them. I was specially told I could use old chargers, and the connection in the phone (lightning) so a reasonable person would expect that, at least, it would not be damaged.

Bob