Wiring Multiple LEDs with ON/Off Switch - Question

jbfatcat

Joined May 6, 2015
Hello all.

I have a...hopefully...quick question on wiring my first LED project. Bare with me because I'm stupid.

Without getting into the project details I'll just focus on the LEDs. Basically I have 20 total 5mm, 12v LEDs.

10 blue and 10 red. Within that batch I have a some that flash, some don't and 2 switch between red/blue. I bought pre-wired LEDs. So they already have the resister and are ready to go.

QUESTION ONE:

I plan to use the wall outlet to power the LEDs. What I don't know is will 20 LEDs be too much for one 12v battery plug? How can I figure that out?

QUESTION TWO:

I have built in 2 push button style switches in this project. They could be "for looks" OR I could use one to actually turn the LEDs on. There are 2 "prongs" on this switch. In order to make it work I run the wire from the power into one "prong" and out the other side to the LEDs. So when pushed it's "ON" and when not pushed the power cuts...turning the LEDs off. Right?

I guess I'll stop here for now.
Thanks!
jenny

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
They already have resistors.. So you simply wire them all in parallel with the power supply.
Assuming they run at 20mA or less (very common) and you have 20 of them your power supply simply needs to be rated "higher" than 20 x 20 = 400mA..

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

Hello all.
I plan to use the wall outlet to power the LEDs. What I don't know is will 20 LEDs be too much for one 12v battery plug? How can I figure that out?
That sounds odd to me - care to clue us in?

Please DO get into the project details - it will probably make it much easier to help you out.
I also wonder why you use switches that just sits there?
Is this for a stage prop or similar?

jbfatcat

Joined May 6, 2015
HA. Yes... "he"... is in fact a "she". :)

I've actually built the holo chess table from Star Wars. AND. Awesomely enough I figured it out on my own. I didn't burn my house down and only shocked myself once.

So as it stands today I have both sides wired to one on/off switch. I built it so that it runs on a re-chargable battery. That way I don't HAVE to be close to a wall outlet.

Here's a link to the video. I don't have the final paint done NOR are the "keys" installed. So this is not totally finished, finished.

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
I've actually built the holo chess table from Star Wars. AND. Awesomely enough I figured it out on my own.
Where's the 3D play pieces?

[...] only shocked myself once.
Whatever gets you off ;)

Here's a link to the video. I don't have the final paint done NOR are the "keys" installed. So this is not totally finished, finished.
Not bad. Did you sacrifice a Roomba or something like that for the housing?

Please post a photo of the finished, finished prop when you get there :)

jbfatcat

Joined May 6, 2015
Where's the 3D play pieces?

Whatever gets you off ;)

Not bad. Did you sacrifice a Roomba or something like that for the housing?

Please post a photo of the finished, finished prop when you get there :)
Nope nothing was sacrificed in the name of cool prop builds....THIS TIME!

Actually what do you meaning by housing. I'll get some photos of the wiring and stuff. It's not pretty but it works.

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
OH HA HA HA. You guys are SOOO funny. Don't lie. I know you're all sitting at home...nude...wiring electronics. ;-P
You didn't solder much, I can tell - at least not in your "Birthday suit".
As a teen, I did solder a lot with bare legs (I had a marvelous reconstitution though, almost like Wolverine), but never without a pair of jeans these days - molten solder and bare thighs should be kept in separate places.
If you try to get it off the skin with a flick of your fingers, it only spreads and it keeps liguid for a very long time (or at least it feels so when it's on your skin).
Trust me, there are lots of better things to do nude than solder ;)

Housing, cabinet, project enclosure/box, the thing that you wrap around the parts to make it look nice.

Last edited: