Wiring a Single Phase Transformer Bank

kittyprincess66

Joined May 28, 2007
I need help wiring a single phase transformer bank for three phase. I would like to use the Delta to Delta wiring scheme. I am thrown in this as my toroid transformers have dual primary and dual secondary wirings. I have only used single primary and single secondary transformers.

I am transforming three phase AC 230v to 42v it then goes to the rectifiers and becomes 48VDC for my battery bank.

Primary Windings:
White=0v
Yellow=117v

Orange=0v
Black=117v

Secondary Windings:
Brown=0v
Red=42v

Orange=0v
Yellow-42v

My original idea for this is to connect yellow and orange on the primaries to terminate, then White would be H1 and Black H2.

On the secondaries, brown and orange would be X1s and red and yellow would be X2s.

Is this correct? I am a little thrown by these toroids. I am more than willing to read so if you have any pertinent links that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.

kittyprincess66

Joined May 28, 2007
OK, I have googled this and that is not a helpful answer. I have dogpiled it in fact which uses a combination of engines including google. Obviously this forum offers no help only rude know it all answers.

These are some of the sites I have visited in this matter, there were quite a few others I found as well but none of them have to do with transformers with dual windings:

http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasetransformers.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer
http://www.toroid.com
http://www.tabtronics.com/TECHNOLOGY/ElectromagneticBasics/TransformerBasics/tabid/110/Default.aspx
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_10/6.html (This site, I THOUGHT it was cool, guess I was WRONG)
http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/AC/AC_10.html

If you did get a useful url, then why didn't you post it? What exactally did you google for? Single Phase Transformer Bank? Dual primary and secondary single phase transformer banks?

EDIT: I found information confirming phase information and dual primary and secondary wiring. If anyone has a question regarding this in the future at least this post will be in this site's search engine. The site is http://www.hammondmfg.com/5CHook.htm it was very helpful.

Additionally all search engines are subject to the exact words a user inputs to find an answer. Just google it is a simplistic answer and not well thought out. Perhaps in the future you should recommend just google "exact terms here" As search engines are dependent on exact input for exact output.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
cud u provide me tell me abt the dual windings (i havent worked with it before)
i mean are they isolated or something like a center tap?
i'll try to help if i can since i know a l'll about 3 phase connections.

it takes sometime for ppl to come up with answers here (some might be actually be working or there some other reason--- its 4 am here :) )

the above reply wasnt a rude one at all (c'mon now the man even said pls)
u'll need to have some patience here.
good luck.

kittyprincess66

Joined May 28, 2007
I have patience, but a trite answer with no helpful information (no matter how politely put) in most forums I use is considered spam. Had the poster included some modicum of information, that would be different.

On the subject of Single Phase Transformer Bank for three phase input/output:

The transformer's wirings are isolated and I am not using a center tap. I have no need for a neutral conductor so I have gone with the Delta - Delta phase wiring. After much deliberation they were decided on because the windings (both pri and sec) could be connected in series or parallel to produce and configuration that suits our power needs.

Pri= 2x117vac 50/60hz - Connected in series for input of 234vac
Sec= 2x42vac 11.9amps - Connected paralell for L1, L2, L3 out of 42vac

I am running them to transform a three phase input of 230V to 42V which is then rectified to produce 56VDC. This in turn charges a battery bank that runs my house. There is no grid power where I live. The power is produced by an overshot water wheel on the premises.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
from what i know your idea should work.
there might be an issue of polarity marking;
would it be possible for you to check it with the help of voltmeter?
in case of the voltages subtract you would only need to change the connection.
if the windings are isolated then i see nothing wrong with your idea.
you should conduct an open circuit test on the combination with a voltmeter
to check if the voltages add up.

kittyprincess66

Joined May 28, 2007
Thank you! It did work and increased my output by about .5 amps. Now back to running capacitance inductance equations to refine efficiency more at the AC three phase generation end.

I have a good hand held clamp on ammeter. Everything measured across as it should before the rectifier. I do believe phase polarity was the problem issue and it took me a lot of research today to confirm it. Thank you again for your support, you clued into the issue immediately and it took me all day. It is good to hear someone else echo my conclusion.

kittyprincess66

Joined May 28, 2007
@ Mozikluv - I don't need to know that you don't intend to help. Your first post made that very clear. Additionally, I don't believe you had or have anything TO contribute or you would have done so from the beginning. Please, refrain yourself from spam instead.

@Recca02, Thank you for your concern! I have the equations down pat, I just need to run them with some new variables today to see if I can eek more power out of my system. Induction generation of power is a wonderful thing, but the capacitance has to be perfect for it to be efficient.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
I need help wiring a single phase transformer bank for three phase. I would like to use the Delta to Delta wiring scheme. I am thrown in this as my toroid transformers have dual primary and dual secondary wirings. I have only used single primary and single secondary transformers.

I am a bit late, but tell me, do you have three or two of the single phase transformers?

I will make a sketch with the diagrams using either 2 or 3 single-phase transformers connected in 3-phase configuration, if you like?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
the op had three single phase x'mers.
i wud like to see two single phase transformers used in 3 phase configuration.
pls sketch it if possible.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
the op had three single phase x'mers.
i wud like to see two single phase transformers used in 3 phase configuration.
pls sketch it if possible.
Sorry, i was gone for a while and only got notice of your post today! I am going to try and post a sketch (or two) to explain the connection of two single phase transformers in the so-called open delta configuration. I will be using the transformers specified in this thread as an example.

Attachments

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
thanks johann,
actually i was curious how we cud use two transformers for three phase,
shud have known you were talking abt the open delta configuration.
but in that case the load on the individual transformers increases.

This is a formal warning from a Moderator:
to whom?

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
thanks johann,
actually i was curious how we cud use two transformers for three phase,
shud have known you were talking abt the open delta configuration.
but in that case the load on the individual transformers increases.

Yes, correct, the total VA rating (3-Phase) will be 2/3 of the VA-rating when 3 transformers is used, therefore you should choose your single-phase transformers such that the 2/3 correspond with whatever full-load you require if it's gonna be a permanent connection (2 x single-phase transformers in open-delta).