Wiring a Single Phase 230 volt 6W Variable Speed Panasonic Spur Motor

Special Projects

Joined Feb 22, 2019
Hi there, I'd be hugely grateful if somebody could advise me on how to wire up a Panasonic motor that I have bought to power a kinetic art sculpture that I have built. I do not have any experience with interpreting wiring diagrams, so I'm a bit stuck, even though there is plenty of material online. A layman's explanation would be really helpful. I just want to connect it to an electrical outlet in the wall.

Although this model is speed variable, I do not actually have the speed controller so would like to wire it up without it.

The motor part number is: M61X6GV4GGA
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/14f9/0900766b814f9d7c.pdf
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/0d4a/0900766b80d4a288.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This seem pretty straight forward, what do you not understand from the diagram?
The ~ symbol is denoting the AC in N and L.
I assume you have the capacitor?
The diagrams are on P33, is that a brake or over temp sensor on the back?
Max.

Special Projects

Joined Feb 22, 2019
Also don't forget the earth ground conductor, there is a screw on the side of the frame for it.
Max.
Hi Max, thanks for the quick reply.

I suppose there are two things I don't understand - the purpose of the red wires, do they connect to the power source, or are they for the variable speed connector?

And then how the capacitor is integrated into the circuit. Does the AC power connect via the capacitor?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The capacitor is connected across grey and black.
AC in goes to the white and grey OR white and black, depending on which direction you need it to run.
I couldn't see a version with that No. or colour of wires on the back device.
Does the shaft of the motor turn OK, IOW is it a brake?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The spec sheets shown don't seem to jive, however there is a PDF out there covering the M61 version and it points to a Tach on the rear of the motor.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Apparently the motor controller for the motor is a Triac type controller and uses the motor tach in this controller to maintain the set RPM.
Max.

Special Projects

Joined Feb 22, 2019
Apparently the motor controller for the motor is a Triac type controller and uses the motor tach in this controller to maintain the set RPM.
Max.
Many thanks everybody. Sorry to labour the point but there are four terminals on the capacitor and no polarity markings. So I’m still not sure where to connect the different wires.

I have photographed the various wires relative to the capacitor, if you could bear to join the dots for me I’d be very grateful.

Again, apologies for making such heavy weather out of it.

Attachments