Wireless headset base transmitter bad voltage regulator

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Ah...

Equipment only takes what current it needs so 2A or 20A is irrelevant. But voltage regulation is a different matter. A cheap no-name 5v usb 'charger' can easily be 7v or more on a low load, not to mention their lack of line noise suppression. As a charger that doesn't matter, the charge controller circuitry can handle it, but used as a power supply... that could be a very different story...

A 3.3v regulator designed for a 5v supply could easily overheat on a 7v supply and while it has overheat protection that might not help if there's a few nasty power spikes coming along as well..

I make it a rule never to use usb 'plugtops' as power supplies unless I've checked the off-load voltage first. I learnt that lesson the hard way!

Last edited:

Bwachtel

Joined Jul 8, 2020
Ah...

Equipment only takes what current it needs so 2A or 20A is irrelevant. But voltage regulation is a different matter. A cheap no-name 5v usb 'charger' can easily be 7v or more on a low load, not to mention their lack of line noise suppression. As a charger that doesn't matter, the charge controller circuitry can handle it, but used as a power supply... that could be a very different story...
So having issues again. Went to go use the headset and the lights were off and the power button didn't turn it on. I reinserted the power cord and one led turned on instead of all of them I could kind of get it to connect to my headset but didn't sound right.

I measured the 3.3 reg output and was at like 2.2v. I resoldered a new 3.3 reg again and it fixed the problem. Do you think it was a bad solder join from before? I've had more smd soldering practice again so I feel confident on the new joint.

Do you have any ideas what could slowly be destroying the regulator if it was not the solder joint?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
It could be overloaded, but these devices have thermal cutout. So the 2.2v could have been because it had shut down, or something else was pulling it down. Hard to say which...

Then again, it could just have been a bad joint.. If it happens again then probably not...

Bwachtel

Joined Jul 8, 2020
It could be overloaded, but these devices have thermal cutout. So the 2.2v could have been because it had shut down, or something else was pulling it down. Hard to say which...

Then again, it could just have been a bad joint.. If it happens again then probably not...
Sounds good. It's working solid right now. Hopefully it was just a bad joint and is working fine now.