Wire Wrapping FM Transmitter

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

You can try, but wire wrapping works better when there are corners on the leads being wrapped to provide more friction against things coming apart. Also note that standard wirewrapping wraps about an inch of wire around terminals.

Nirelan

Joined Nov 5, 2018
Thank you for the welcome. I don't intend to use this it for anything serious. It's just a fun project that I would take apart at the end of the day.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thank you for the welcome. I don't intend to use this it for anything serious. It's just a fun project that I would take apart at the end of the day.
Apparently, the materials also make a difference. In addition to being square, the wirewrap posts are gold or tin plated and the wire is silver plated.

From Wikipedia:
upload_2018-11-5_15-32-37.png

EDIT: If you plan to take it apart, you might find a solderless breadboard more convenient. Just beware of the cheap ones coming from China.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
That is a lot to consider. Can you just attach those components to a wire without the board?
I edited my post while you were replying.

You should use a solderless breadboard.

EDIT: Something like this:
upload_2018-11-5_15-39-40.png
Image from Jameco.com

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If you think about where parasitic capacitance will affect the circuit most adversely, you can plan component placement to place several parasitic capacitances in series to minimize the effect.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
At RF, every mm of wire adds inductance.
Solderless breadboards are totally useless at RF, it's like sprinkling hundreds of unintended capacitors all over your circuit.

Wire it point to point, on a piece of perforated board, keep the leads in between short as possible.