30AWG Wire Wrapping wire power consumption

omerysmi

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Hello, i want to use 30AWG wire wrapping wire for some project, and i need to consume about 200mA.
The problem is that i use 30V power supply so the power consumption would be about 6W, doesn't it too much for 30awg wire?
What awg should i use in this case?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You need to provide wire length. #30 wire can carry 3/4A and voltage drop depends on wire length. How much voltage drop will your circuit tolerate?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Hello, i want to use 30AWG wire wrapping wire for some project, and i need to consume about 200mA.
The problem is that i use 30V power supply so the power consumption would be about 6W, doesn't it too much for 30awg wire?
Wire doesn't care how much power your transferring over it; only the current.

In this case, current is the problem: 30 AWG is too small for 200 mA.

According to the attached wire table, you should be using 28 gauge or larger.

Attachments

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
The table provided by OBW is useful and interesting. As dl324 pointed out, you haven't told us some key info, particularly the length. Also, since you're working near some limits, other factors will help: AC or DC? 200mA max? Duty cycle? Additional heat sources? Temperature sensitive components? Restrictive factors for larger wires? Wire wrap termination, or other termination simply using this 30AWG wire made for WW term's?

Heat and resistance are likely your primary factors.

omerysmi

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Wire doesn't care how much power your transferring over it; only the current.

In this case, current is the problem: 30 AWG is too small for 200 mA.

According to the attached wire table, you should be using 28 gauge or larger.
OK so i'll use 28, but 30V*200mA is 6W, this is not problematic?

The length is some centimeters (i work with prototyping board)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
OK so i'll use 28, but 30V*200mA is 6W, this is not problematic?
Not automatically. Withe the table you can calculate the resistance of the length of wire you want to use. With that and the current, you can use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage drop across the wire. This will tell you the voltage at the end of the wire when under load. You then can evaluate whether or not this voltage is enough for your circuit.

ak

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Your lightbulb, motor or Heater that needs 200 mA is dissipating the 6W, a perfect wire should have no resistance, and, therefore would generate no heat and consume no power but no wire is perfect, they all have some resistance.

Calculate the resistance of your 30 gauge wire, then apply it to the formula to see how many watts of power are consumed by the wire...

Power = 0.2 x 0.2 / wire resistance