Wire Harness Testing

Decibel

Joined Jun 11, 2008
Hello all,

I currently work for a company that specializes in building wire harnesses for aircraft and other assemblies. My specific job is to test them (continuity, resistance, low and high voltage parameters, and overall functionality).

In order to test them, I have to manually create a wirelist from the customer print. This can be tedious as some harnesses have over 1000 connections. Is there any software out there that will allow me to retrieve the wirelist from the electronic print (CAD) and translate it into a format which can upload into my testers?

I appreciate any help and/or comments.

P.S. Happy Halloween!

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Obviously it will depend on the capabilities of your tester and of the customer CAD software but most CAD packages can produce a "netlist" file that describes all the interconnections. In fact netlist files are regularly used by PCB layout software to create the circuit boards but you will need to find out whether your tester supports them.

Decibel

Joined Jun 11, 2008
We use the Cirris Touch 1 testers to test our harnesses. The customer provides the drawing in Bentley format, so we cannot extract any data from it.