Wire doesn't have enough power, what should I do?

affan101

Joined Dec 12, 2016
Hello, I'm trying to connect a ps2 controller to a converter that converts it for use on a nintendo gamecube. I'm using an extension cable because it's part of a project I'm working on. The problem is, when I use the extension cable with the controller's cable then connect the ex cable to the converter, it doesn't work. The converter works with the controller without the ex cable obviously. So I figured the power going through the ex cable is too weak because the cable is too damn long, thus the converter doesn't work. So my question is, can I splice the ex cable to add an external power source to make the converter work? Do I just need to connect the negative wire from the external power source or do I need to connect the positive wire as well? Also, the voltage coming from the ps2 controller is 5v, so if I connect an external wire sending 5v to the extension cable will it still be 5v? I know it's kind of a stupid question but I don't understand how volts work. And will the current (ambers) be too strong if it exceeds the number of ambers coming from the controller? I'm thinking about using a normal usb adapter as the external power source. Thanks for your help.

affan101

Joined Dec 12, 2016
It's not that simple your problem is more then likely the data not the power.
if it was the data then the converter wouldn't work without the extension cable either, but it does. It has to be not working due to low power because the cable is too long when using the extension cable.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It is not a power limitation.
When you add an extension cable, you degrade the data transmission.
You cannot simply extend the cable and always expect it to work.