WinXp icon refresh

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
No. But i may offer some help.

Take a screenshot of your desktop.
Use that screenshot as your wallpaper.

Your icons will line up with the same icons on the wall paper. So, while the icons are refreshing, they will not "blink". The pixels "underneath" will be the same state as the "refreshed" ones.

Do a test. Do the screen shot idea. In a paint program, erase half of the icons.

Save the screenshot as wallpaper. That will show you it works.
I don't have any links or concrete evidence of this "method". You will have to do it and try for yourself.

I like how POV papers say that 50hz is faster than the human eye can notice... They should say 'most'

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have a site for windows tweaks http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm look at number 157. Then you downlaod it remember it is a reg file. I have included the reg file here also. I do not know if it works
Rich (BB code):
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"NoNetCrawling"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="12000"

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
By the way. In the control panel select the system icon. Then select the advanced tab. Here you should find a performance option. Modify settings as you please

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
By the way. In the control panel select the system icon. Then select the advanced tab. Here you should find a performance option. Modify settings as you please
That is the first thing to do. I go into the performance tab and click the radio button for "best performance" It makes xp look like Win98, but it preforms great.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Was it the flashing that was giving you the headaches or was it not being able to find the options?

I may have taken you literally.