Window Comparator question

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
Hey all,

I have been thinking about a circuit that uses a range selection similar to a volt meter that is done with window comparators. I don't have it drawn out i'm just thinking theory at this point. Now, i would assume that you may have trouble with outputs becoming intermittent or oscillating as the thresholds are approached. I have read that hysteresis is a possible solution to this...How would this be implemented in a window comparator or say that LM339 circuit that works like a mini bar graph? I understand the concept of hysteresis, which I believe is a voltage gap between thresholds to stabilize and almost "toggle" them so to speak. I just don't know how to use them with more than a single comparator.

Would this also be a viable possible solution for a situation where voltages were compared on a microvolt level? As in, the comparator is off at 2.000001V and on at 2.000002V? I know the comparators would have to be very precise and noise would also play a big concern at that point.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
The design of the hysteresis circuit must include and account for the input offset voltage of the comparator. Thus, one microvolt sensing requires a high precision comparator.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Doing the math for 1 microvolt is easy enough. Doing it in reality is a much more difficult job.
You probably don't need that kind of quality. Reconsider your requirements.