Wind Turbine used as a motor instead of a generator?

seamusb14

Joined Nov 19, 2022
Hi, I am looking to do a blade stress analysis test on a whisper 100 wind turbine generator. In order to do the testing I need to use the turbine as a motor instead of a generator. I have tried a 3ph manually regulated voltage feed to the 3 windings to try and get it spinning but I have had no luck. Any tips on how I can make it spin or is it even possible to do? Thanks

seamusb14

Joined Nov 19, 2022
How were you trying to power it - what power supply?
I have a 3ph in and a variable 3ph out convertor as seen in the picture. As I am unsure what voltage it would require to drive it i started off at 0V and gradually increased the voltage. I put the 3 phases onto the 3 tails coming from the turbine generator.

Attachments

seamusb14

Joined Nov 19, 2022
Since the turbine rating is DC, how did you arrange to bypass/disable the rectifier stage?
I connected directly onto the 3 tails coming from the wind turbine generator. I increased the voltage gradually. It turns very slightly but it also vibrates mad.

The generator seems fine as it generates voltage when you spin it by hand. I also did an insulation resistance test and continuity test and the readings seem fine also.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
I have a 3ph in and a variable 3ph out convertor as seen in the picture. As I am unsure what voltage it would require to drive it i started off at 0V and gradually increased the voltage. I put the 3 phases onto the 3 tails coming from the turbine generator.
What voltage is the generator expected to output, and what voltage did you get up to when it was vibrating. What power & frequency is the 3ph converter capable of?

seamusb14

Joined Nov 19, 2022
What voltage is the generator expected to output, and what voltage did you get up to when it was vibrating. What power & frequency is the 3ph converter capable of?
It can be configured to different voltages of 12, 24, 48 volts. It is configured at 24V at the minute. Vibration started around 5-10V. Got up to about 30V and it trips the overload on the 3ph convertor unit. The 3ph convertor has an RCD on it with a 6A C type MCB also. The out voltage can be anywhere from 0 to 420V.

The generator generates a varied voltage from 0 to 24v so would a 24V feed be expected to make it move or would these not directly correlate?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Your 3ph generator has an output control for amplitude, but appears to generate a fixed frequency. Perhaps you need a variable-frequency supply to ramp up the turbine rpm gradually?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Your 3ph generator has an output control for amplitude, but appears to generate a fixed frequency. Perhaps you need a variable-frequency supply to ramp up the turbine rpm gradually?
My thoughts exactly, a 50Hz source will not drive a 400Hz motor!

seamusb14

Joined Nov 19, 2022
At the voltages being talked about, I'm willing to bet his generator/motor is actually a BLDC motor. Just putting 3 phase power into one of those won't make it run or turn as a motor. At the very least a BLDC ESC would be needed. For the commutation, I just hope he hasn't hurt his expensive wind turbine so far with his experiment. https://thesolarstore.com/southwest...-36-or-48-vdc-wo-charge-controller-p-213.html
It's a brushed motor. I acquired the unit second hand off students who had been using it previously. The turbine is old and very inefficient and is not being produced anymore as the company folded. Thanks for your help.