Wind turbine collapse

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The turbine alone as 7 tons according to an engineering that was interviewed on another news program. I don't know if it was an estimate or exact.

The blades, gearbox, nacelle and tower added to that weight. Likely between 80 and 100 mTons all together.

I know it all depends of size what boils down to generated power.

All equipments I've been handling (discharging) lately, included the nacelles more or less complete with weights ranging from 63 to 87 MT, IIRC.

Hub, generator and panels were already assembled inside.

The rest was, cones (noses), blades, 3 (or 4) tower sections and ancillary parts.

Blades, longest ones, almost 50 m length, almost 12 MT weight (includes the transportation tools).

I am used to hear "turbine" as the name for the "whole" thing, excluding blades/towers, thus my comment.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I know it all depends of size what boils down to generated power.

All equipments I've been handling (discharging) lately, included the nacelles more or less complete with weights ranging from 63 to 87 MT, IIRC.

Hub, generator and panels were already assembled inside.

The rest was, cones (noses), blades, 3 (or 4) tower sections and ancillary parts.

Blades, longest ones, almost 50 m length, almost 12 MT weight (includes the transportation tools).

I am used to hear "turbine" as the name for the "whole" thing, excluding blades/towers, thus my comment.

Then the 7 ton comment was way off. This was a 1.5 MW unit.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Then the 7 ton comment was way off. This was a 1.5 MW unit.
The most recent I've dealt with:

El Arauco I = 2,1 MW
Loma Blanca IV = 3,0 MW
Parque Rawson = 1,8 MW

Additional comment (non-related to the OP): I got surprised by the so different procedures followed for the assembling in the sites by the different contractors.

While I've never had the chance to be there, I had the opportunity to maintain long conversations with the technicians in charge. Certainly interesting!!