Wind generator

bushman

Joined Oct 11, 2007
Hi
I am trying to build a wind generator. Getting the right kind of motor is difficult where I am. I need it to charge 12v car batteries wich I then connect an inverter to 220v for lighting. I have a 24v dc motor with 375rpm and 0.5amp. Can I use this.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Your motor will produce a bit less than it's rated running load. That is only 12 watts. With any losses in the system, you will be lucky to get 10 watts out. I suggest you find a larger generator to make the project worthwhile.

bushman

Joined Oct 11, 2007
Hi Beenthere

Any suggestions on what kind of motor I should look for. I´m a total novice at this. I understand that a motor has to spin at its total rpm to produce the given voltage. i.e. a 220v with 3600rpm has to spin at that rpm to produce the voltage. Also reading other chats, I understand that the amps are fixed, so if the volts are less the amps remain the same. What actually charges a 12v battery? Is it not the amps? lets say a 220v spinning at 100rpm (max 3600rpm) you would produce very little votlage, but still produce the rated amps???? is it not this that would charge the battery?? your help is well apreciated