Wind generator coil positions

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Hello. I'm not sure I'm in the right area. This is about wind generator coils. More specifically, the voltage and current of their coils. I've seen many many connection diagrams. MOST show like in the attached pic. For example, if 3 coils are together for a phase, they all have the coils that are wired together in series for said phase at 120 degrees from one another. Why is this? Why not have the 3 coils next to each other? What am I missing here? See the example diagram please. Thank you.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hello. I'm not sure I'm in the right area. This is about wind generator coils. More specifically, the voltage and current of their coils. I've seen many many connection diagrams. MOST show like in the attached pic. For example, if 3 coils are together for a phase, they all have the coils that are wired together in series for said phase at 120 degrees from one another. Why is this? Why not have the 3 coils next to each other? What am I missing here? See the example diagram please. Thank you.
If you work out the timing, the EMF profile produced by each coil as the magnets pass by, you'll see that the arrangement shown will produce 3-phase power. More phases are better, but 3 is enough to get most of the benefits of multiphase generation. It's the most common arrangement for DIY gennies.

clark.kent156

Joined Aug 17, 2019
you're saying the emf produced is the reason the coils in series is why they are spaced apart rather than next to each other? did id get that right?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
you're saying the emf produced is the reason the coils in series is why they are spaced apart rather than next to each other? did id get that right?
Have a look here for a description of how it all works. It takes a bit of work to explain and there's no point to me reproducing what many others have already provided. It's daunting at first but it'll start to clear up.

https://www.windstuffnow.com/main/3_phase_basics.htm

I thought I had more bookmarks to share - there are many sites like the one above - but I don't seem to have them on hand. If you search around you'll find more.