willem programmer vpp led wont lights on.

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
hello, i may post this thread in the wrong place so im sorry for that if this is the case. ((poor english :( sorry))
I have a used willem programmer which i ve got from a freind ,and i want to repair it. the problem is when i plug any power source usb or 12v ac adaptor the vpp light does not turn on ,the power led it turns on normally but not vpp and of course the programmer is not recognized ,and i have hardware error on the software.
i ve checked already lm 7805 ok ,coil inductor ok ,bridge recifier ok.i ve already set up my computer bios epp nothing wrong witch the software because i ve got another willemprogrammer running very well on the same computer.
please anyone knows these programmers can tell me where can i start checking.i attached a picture of the programmer bellow.
thanks for helping me.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
anyone knows these programmers can tell me where can i start checking
I used to be a moderator at willem.org before it went away.

What operating system and program version are you using?

VPP should not be enabled unless you're programming a device or doing the hardware test.

Do you have a schematic for the programmer? It appears to be a PCB3 variant. Lucky for you because the other design that was similar (Enhanced Universal) was basically worthless for programming and marginal for reading.

All unmodified Willem type programmers (that I'm aware of), except the 4.1, have a problem with "high" current devices (NMOS EPROMs, large capacity CMOS, etc) because the switched VCC is via a transistor that drops too much voltage.

VPP on your design has always been weak because many used a molded inductor that saturated and they could not generate voltages above 12.5V reliably. I can't tell if yours has a better inductor. Can you post a higher resolution picture so I can zoom in on parts and read part numbers?

I've modified some of those programmers powered by 5V to make them more usable. It involves replacing the VPP generator with a linear regulator and requires operating at a DC voltage of 15-30V; several volts higher than the VPP voltage you require. I also replace the 5V regulator for VCC with an LM317 so you can set voltages of 4.2V (required for proper blank checking (sufficient erase margin)) and up to 6.25V to insure sufficient programming margin. I add a variable option that allows VCC to be set to 4-7V.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Checked my files and your programmer looks like a variant of PCB4.5. Do you know who made it?
1703198573230.png
I think this is from Sivava. He's the one who implemented a faster mode by using all 3 outputs from the CD4014/21. That's what the 2 jumpers to the left of the ZIF socket do. You have to use the 0.98 program versions for that functionality.

He stopped cooperating with the Willem people at about that time. I offered to help him fix the power issues with his design if he gave me information on the programming algorithms (which I suspect were, and still are, wrong).

Last edited:

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
Thanks dl324 for your replay , im using windows xp , and the software i ve tried 0.98d11 , and the old version 97ja no one of them worked. as i said before i ve another willem programmer working one the vpp lights up as soon i plug a source power. i ve attached the shematics , and a picture of the programmer.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
as i said before i ve another willem programmer working one the vpp lights up as soon i plug a source power.
That's not the correct behavior. VPP should only be enabled if you're programming a device or have enabled it in the test hardware tab.

EDIT: Are you connecting the programmer before you have the program running?

Since you're using WinXP, have you disabled printer polling? If you don't, you can have problems with XP randomly enabling VPP and that can cause problems.
i ve attached the shematics
That's not the schematic for PCB5.0. It doesn't show the option for using all three outputs from the CD4014.
i have hardware error on the software
Are you getting the error when you try to do "Test Hardware" from the Help pulldown?
1703278762715.png

Last edited:

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
hello dennis , to answer your questions i connect the programmer after starting the software ,
yes im getting the error when i hit test hardware from the Help pulldown , i tried almost all settings everything in device manager whitout any result.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
to answer your questions i connect the programmer after starting the software
If you connect the programmer after starting the program, VPP should never be enabled. Are you saying this happens for your other programmer?
yes im getting the error when i hit test hardware from the Help pulldown
To troubleshoot the VPP enable issue, you can enter the "Test H/W" tab, set the switches indicated, and click on pin 1. That should enable VPP. If it doesn't, trace the signal from pin 1 on the parallel connector to the transistors that enable VPP.

1703362020517.png

STB is the signal on pin 1 of the parallel port:
1703362112102.png
It's odd that they use a yellow LED. Most programmers use red (danger) for VPP and yellow for VDDp.

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
i ve tried to connect the programmer before and after starting the software same result (not present),
my other working willem programmer when i plug a power source on it the vpp led turns on, without lpt cable hooked on it.
i tried Test H/W the vpp led turns on , i ve got all voltages 25v 12v 15v ...all work great.but could not get it detected.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
my other working willem programmer when i plug a power source on it the vpp led turns on, without lpt cable hooked on it.
That shouldn't happen. With no connection to the computer, the base of the NPN transistor that turns on the PNP is floating and VPP shouldn't be on.
i ve got all voltages 25v 12v 15v ...all work great.but could not get it detected.
You can use the Test H/W tab to test the data lines.

Click on the D0-D7 0xFF button on the right and measure the voltage on the corresponding pins on the ZIF socket.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
bellow my two programmers the working one has red led , the faulty one has a yellow led both have usb connected without parallel cable.
It's been a while since I had the need to use a PCB3 variant, but the power section is similar to the Willem 4.0, which I'm using to verify the expected results.

You have a transistor with its base not connected. It would take a large leakage current to turn on the PNP transistor.

Since I used to sell and service Willem's programmer versions (4.0, 4.1, and 4.5) in the US, I built a test jig:
tester.jpg

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
Last night i went to sleep so sorry for not reposting.
I ve measured my working programmer as you asked DO-D7 0xFF , and all pins have 4.18v ,the faulty programmer pins have 0 v.
i dont know what does it means that , surely i have a transistor or a diode which needs to be replaced.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i dont know what does it means that , surely i have a transistor or a diode which needs to be replaced.
Are you using USB power?

Do your programmers have a switch to switch between USB and the 5V regulator?

Do you have a schematic for the board you have? The schematic you posted is for PCB3, the non dual-powered variant.

sam@2009

Joined Dec 21, 2023
hello dennis.
im using 15v 1a adapter , no did nt have a switch between usb / adapter sorry the only pcb shematics i have.
im suspecting a transistot a diode which fails or one of the ICs , what do you think?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
im suspecting a transistot a diode which fails or one of the ICs , what do you think?
Measure the voltage on the power pins of one of the CD4503. If you're using a 15V adapter, it should be pretty close to 5V.

no did nt have a switch between usb / adapter
On the dual power PCB3 schematic I have, it shows 2 jumpers that need to be set. On the dual power PCB3 programmer I have, it has a DPDT switch.