Willem Programmer ERROR

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Do you have an idea ?
  1. Enter the Test H/W tab.
  2. Set the DIP switches as indicated.
  3. Click on the VCC pin on the ZIF socket illustration.
  4. Measure the voltage between pins 32 and 16 on the ZIF socket on the programmer.
If you don't measure about 5V, communication to the parallel port isn't working.

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
Welcome to AAC!

1. Enter the Test H/W tab.
  2. Set the DIP switches as indicated.
  3. Click on the VCC pin on the ZIF socket illustration.
  4. Measure the voltage between pins 32 and 16 on the ZIF socket on the programmer.
If you don't measure about 5V, communication to the parallel port isn't working.
Thank you and for the response. I am a beginner in this field, and I'm not familiar with the "jargon" (VCC) (ZIF).
how am I supposed to press the VCC pin?

I don't even know where pins 32 & 16, VCC, ZIF that you mentioned.

I use the programer for PLCC32

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The ZIF socket is the green 32pin socket on the programmer. Pin 32 is on the top, opposite from pin 1.
1704644191102.png
To enable VCC (also called Vddp), click on pin 32 of the ZIF socket illustration with your mouse:
willemTestHW.jpg
Technically, you don't have to set the DIP switches as indicated for this test, but it will be required for other tests and it's a good idea to get in the habit of setting them.
I use the programer for PLCC32
It doesn't matter. The "normal" PLCC32 socket is wired in parallel with the ZIF socket. The ZIF socket is much easier to probe.

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
The ZIF socket is the green 32pin socket on the programmer. Pin 32 is on the top, opposite from pin 1.
View attachment 312005
To enable VCC (also called Vddp), click on pin 32 of the ZIF socket illustration with your mouse:
View attachment 312006
Technically, you don't have to set the DIP switches as indicated for this test, but it will be required for other tests and it's a good idea to get in the habit of setting them.
It doesn't matter. The "normal" PLCC32 socket is wired in parallel with the ZIF socket. The ZIF socket is much easier to probe.
Thanks you.

I have the 5v as indicated and I followed the diagram but still the problem.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have the 5v as indicated
Please upload images to this website. It will prevent problems with broken links if this thread is referenced in the future.
still the problem
Click on the D0->D7 0xFF button in the Test H/W tab. Measure the voltage on the D0-7 pins on the ZIF socket. They should all be around 5V.

Which Windows version are you using?

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
Please upload images to this website. It will prevent problems with broken links if this thread is referenced in the future.
Click on the D0->D7 0xFF button in the Test H/W tab. Measure the voltage on the D0-7 pins on the ZIF socket. They should all be around 5V.

Which Windows version are you using?
Ok !

Yes 5v too. i'm using Windows 10 x64 (but program running in Windows 98 compatibility)

I have other computer with Windows 7 x64 but I only have a USB adapter and not PCI-E (same error)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Now do the address lines with the "A0-A18 0x7FFFF" button. The pins corresponding to the address lines should be 5V.
Windows 10 x64 (but program running in Windows 98 compatibility)
I only used Windows up to WinXP. I don't know if Win10 still does printer polling. It did on XP and that caused problems if you didn't disable printer polling in the registry. Did your programmer have instructions instructing you how to do that?

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
Now do the address lines with the "A0-A18 0x7FFFF" button. The pins corresponding to the address lines should be 5V.
I only used Windows up to WinXP. I don't know if Win10 still does printer polling. It did on XP and that caused problems if you didn't disable printer polling in the registry. Did your programmer have instructions instructing you how to do that?
I don't have A0-A18 0x7FFFF (check my image A0-A23 0xFFFFFF) but i have the 5v

No, I don't have any instructions with the programmer.

But I have disabled Plug and play, put on LPT1 and put in "use any interrupt assigned to the port"

printer polling are disabled on my win 10

i can try install windows XP but need 32x or i can install X64 ?on my second computer but i have only USB adaptater (laptop)

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I don't have A0-A18 0x7FFFF (check my image A0-A23 0xFFFFFF) but i have the 5v
It looks like a problem with the programmer sending data to the computer.

There may be a way to use the Test H/W options to try sending data to the computer. I don't have enough hardware to try right now.

Do you have a schematic for your programmer?

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
It looks like a problem with the programmer sending data to the computer.

There may be a way to use the Test H/W options to try sending data to the computer. I don't have enough hardware to try right now.

Do you have a schematic for your programmer?
I have lots of files, photos etc. but as I'm not natively English I don't understand!
This is zip file the vendor send me : https://www.sendspace.com/file/8giwpq

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
This is zip file the vendor send me
I'll look through what you were sent.

I won't have time to get back to this until this evening.

There was a new member who was having similar issues. He replaced the IC that sends data to the parallel port and fixed his problem. I suspect you have a similar problem. Your IC's aren't in sockets. Can you remove and replace IC's?

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
I'll look through what you were sent.

I won't have time to get back to this until this evening.

There was a new member who was having similar issues. He replaced the IC that sends data to the parallel port and fixed his problem. I suspect you have a similar problem. Your IC's aren't in sockets. Can you remove and replace IC's?
Are you talking about this?
abbbe.PNG

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
You can use the "Read Data" option in the Test H/W tab to test the ability to send data from the programmer to the computer. But it's going to require some hardware.

You need to put pull-up resistors to VCC on all 8 data lines in the ZIF socket. I'd use 10k and wire them to pin 32 on the socket. Then connect some combination of the data pins to ground. Click on the "Read Data" button and you should see the bit combination you set in the Data In box.

For example, if you pulled D0-3 to ground, the data read would be 0x07. If you can't see both digits of the hex value in the Data In box, double click on the data and you'll be able to see the last 2 digits.

Once you start reading data, the program seems to read data as it's changed. If it doesn't, you can click on the "Read Data" button to force the program to try to read.

I don't know if this will work on a broken programmer.

If you're uncertain of anything I've said, ask questions before doing anything. You don't want to make things worse than they already are.

I haven't built a test fixture yet. To test the procedure, I used a 4Mb EPROM that had known data. I used the Test H/W options to select addresses and have the program display the data at those addresses. After the first read, the program automatically read data from any other addresses I selected.

I'll build a text fixture this evening and post a picture of it.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I made this test jig to let me change data pins from HIGH to LOW:
willemTestJigInSocket.jpgwillemTestJig.jpg
The shorting blocks connect a pin to GND. Don't pay attention to the DIP switch setting. I just grabbed a programmer to take the picture.

To test, I enabled VCC, configured data pins, and clicked the Read Data button.

When I was reading an EPROM, changing the address caused the program to read automatically.

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
You can use the "Read Data" option in the Test H/W tab to test the ability to send data from the programmer to the computer. But it's going to require some hardware.

You need to put pull-up resistors to VCC on all 8 data lines in the ZIF socket. I'd use 10k and wire them to pin 32 on the socket. Then connect some combination of the data pins to ground. Click on the "Read Data" button and you should see the bit combination you set in the Data In box.

For example, if you pulled D0-3 to ground, the data read would be 0x07. If you can't see both digits of the hex value in the Data In box, double click on the data and you'll be able to see the last 2 digits.

Once you start reading data, the program seems to read data as it's changed. If it doesn't, you can click on the "Read Data" button to force the program to try to read.

I don't know if this will work on a broken programmer.

If you're uncertain of anything I've said, ask questions before doing anything. You don't want to make things worse than they already are.

I haven't built a test fixture yet. To test the procedure, I used a 4Mb EPROM that had known data. I used the Test H/W options to select addresses and have the program display the data at those addresses. After the first read, the program automatically read data from any other addresses I selected.

I'll build a text fixture this evening and post a picture of it.
Many thanks for all the information.

But this is beyond my skills and knowledge.

If you assume that my Willem is defective, just point me to another similar programmer to modify PLCC32s.

I find this diagram, idk he can help you or no.

i try ti find the option "read data" but i don't find it.

WareZ

Joined Jan 7, 2024
@dl324
(i can't edit my previous message)

Do you think that the problem would rather be because of the Windows installed?

I have the opportunity to buy a Win XP x86 PC with LPT port on the motherboard for €10

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But this is beyond my skills and knowledge.
Is the programmer still under warranty? If so, you could try to get help from the seller.
If you assume that my Willem is defective, just point me to another similar programmer to modify PLCC32s.
What devices do you plan to read/program? Most PCB3 variants (i.e. PCB3, PCB3.5, PCB4.5 and PCB5.0) are unsuitable for programming most CMOS devices because they can't set VCC to 6.25V or supply 75mA at that voltage.

Aside from the Willem 4.0, 4.1, and 4.5 programmers, the power section is quite weak in most Willem type programmers, with the Enhanced Universal being the worst of the worst. PCB3 variants often had issues with VPP=25V, and sometimes 21V, because they used improper inductors and/or diodes. VCC was always weak because they couldn't provide enough current at the required voltages for programming. They can read some CMOS devices if you don't use USB power.

If I was in the market for a Willem type programmer, I'd get one of the variants that use the USB for data and power. For parallel port, I'd only consider Willem 4.1.

If you can solder, I have some blank 4.1 boards for sale/trade at my cost plus shipping. W4.1 programmers were never mass produced, so they were always about twice as much as the PCB3 variants. But you get a programmer that can program all supported devices.

I still modify the programmer to give more voltage options:
W4v1PowerMod.jpg

Willem's programmers can't use the faster 0.98* versions of the program. The modification to make Willem type programmers compatible is on the internet. The person who implemented the new features stole from the open source Willem community by making the program private and not sharing the enhancement. He even made the 0.97* versions closed.
Do you think that the problem would rather be because of the Windows installed?

I have the opportunity to buy a Win XP x86 PC with LPT port on the motherboard for €10
The fact that the program can manipulate data and address lines means it's more likely that the programmer is defective.

If you get the XP computer, you could test your programmer again and remove the parallel port emulator as the problem. When I first started using a Willem programmer, I couldn't get it to work because the printer port on the computer I was using was bad.

I have a Win98 desktop and a WinME laptop that I use for Willem programmers. I run the program on Win10, but don't use it because I don't have a parallel port and was unaware of any emulators that work. I considered buying an emulator like the one you're using, but I don't really need it.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I find this diagram, idk he can help you or no.
It's helpful, but it's not for your programmer.

What is the circled IC?
1704737792074.png

If this is the flyback diode for the switching regulator, it's not the correct type of diode. It should be a Schottky diode, not a signal diode. That will affect VPP adversely.
1704738108801.png
But it doesn't correspond to your programmer:
pcb50Switching.jpg