Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
One little 100uf 16v capacitor caused my car engine to stall and cost me $100 tow fees to get home. That is totally and utterly ridiculous.
I think that is utterly ridiculous, too. I just paid $42 for short ride from one of the thousands of Uber drivers in the area and he didn't need any special equipment, didn't need to make any connections to my car, didn't have to have liability insurance in case he damaged the car he was towing. So, for just $100 to get a car towed home, that is a great deal. As far as the cause being a 100uF cap, we'll, people get help from tow trucks for a lot of reasons that would have been cheap to prevent. Not running out of gas, not running over a pot hole, not running on bald tires, changing oil on a timely basis, checking fluid levels - at least you needed a tow truck for reasons outside of your control. If you want all electronics to have redundant systems, you might pay double for the car to be completely redundant? Or, are you sure the cap wasn't part of a redundant system and you only found half of the system?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Well actually i have verification that there are rolling blackouts not that it is solely because of EV's.
Rolling blackouts were clearly announced by pacific gas and electric because of their failing power distribution infrastructure. The failing equipment is leaking dielectric fluids and SF6 gas which causes arcing and transformer fires. These fires cause large brush fires/wild fires that destroy property and kill people. They have nothing to do with EVs. They simply shut down parts of the grid thst surpass demand that the aging systems can provide without exploding into flames - neighborhood by neighborhood depending exactly where the weak nodes (weak equipment) is located in the chain. The equipment is getting updated but no additional power generation is really needed in California because of efficiency improvements, environmental policy changes and people simply turning off their lights when they leave a rooom.

if you want to jump to conclusions, please take the time to do a Google search first. There is no reason anyone should argue points while being completely uninformed when data can be used instead. Here, I did the search for you - residential and non-residential data.

now, please point out when plug-in electrical vehicle production started and which year the logarithmic growth in demand can be seen rising above baseline demand. Also, please point out where we reach the peak demands that cause the rolling blackouts. Note the dip in non-residential demand in 2020 corresponds to the rise in residential demand from work at home policies.

1669469124595.jpeg

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Rolling blackouts were clearly announced by pacific gas and electric because of their failing power distribution infrastructure. The failing equipment is leaking dielectric fluids and SF6 gas which causes arcing and transformer fires. These fires cause large brush fires/wild fires that destroy property and kill people. They have nothing to do with EVs. They simply shut down parts of the grid thst surpass demand that the aging systems can provide without exploding into flames - neighborhood by neighborhood depending exactly where the weak nodes (weak equipment) is located in the chain. The equipment is getting updated but no additional power generation is really needed in California because of efficiency improvements, environmental policy changes and people simply turning off their lights when they leave a rooom.

if you want to jump to conclusions, please take the time to do a Google search first. There is no reason anyone should argue points while being completely uninformed when data can be used instead. Here, I did the search for you - residential and non-residential data.

now, please point out when plug-in electrical vehicle production started and which year the logarithmic growth in demand can be seen rising above baseline demand. Also, please point out where we reach the peak demands that cause the rolling blackouts. Note the dip in non-residential demand in 2020 corresponds to the rise in residential demand from work at home policies.

View attachment 281492

Did you read my post correctly? I already stated that the rolling blackouts were not caused solely by EV's yet you go on to try to teach me that rolling blackouts were not caused by EV's. Not sure what you mean here because i already stated that.
Did you mean something else perhaps?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Apparently you either were not around, or have forgotten how unreliable cars were before they were controlled by computers.
I was not only around i had SEVERAL cars with no computers and NEVER broke down so bad that i couldnt get home. Since i got my first car with a computer, i have had issues all along with it, especially trying to get through inspection. The computer is very slow to get the monitors to go ready for one thing.

I did have one near miss though. I had a 1964 Pontiac Catalina and was driving back home from down the shore. I just went over a big bridge and the drive shaft broke off at the front universal joint. Of course i had to pull over. I looked under the car and found that i could 'snap' it back into place, and that got me home which was at least another 10 miles.

Not sure but you sound like you think that computers make the car more reliable. That cant be true with my car i can tell you that for sure because i have 7 years experience with it now.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Huh. My experience has been the opposite.

My latest car, a 2013 Audi TT has not had a single non-scheduled maintenance required except for the fuel system where rodents damaged it. My wife’s Prius was same.

The cars I owned back in my he ‘70s and ‘80s needed repairs all the time. My 1999 Acura did shut down due to the computer once, but I think they have improved considerably since then.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I already stated that the rolling blackouts were not caused solely by EV's
I did read your quote and I want to learn from you. I pulled the data of electricity usage - please show me the date where you see the surge in electricity demand caused by electric vehicles which leads to rolling blackouts.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I did read your quote and I want to learn from you. I pulled the data of electricity usage - please show me the date where you see the surge in electricity demand caused by electric vehicles which leads to rolling blackouts.
Ok but only if you show me where i said that. I said that was part of the problem didnt i? If not i appologize for the misstatement.

But i dare you to tell me you dont believe that the EV energy demand will go up as sales increase :)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Huh. My experience has been the opposite.

My latest car, a 2013 Audi TT has not had a single non-scheduled maintenance required except for the fuel system where rodents damaged it. My wife’s Prius was same.

The cars I owned back in my he ‘70s and ‘80s needed repairs all the time. My 1999 Acura did shut down due to the computer once, but I think they have improved considerably since then.
Oh that's interesting. What kind of rodents, cause we have those critters around here too.

One thing i should also mention is that up to now i have done almost all the work on all my cars in the past. The one with the computer is very hard to work on not only are the parts more complex and more interconnected, the parts take up so much room there is barely any room to get a wrench into some places under the hood. Of course i can still change the battery, but even that got more complex because i have to keep 12 volts going to the computer all the time while the battery is being swapped out or else the computer will reset all the monitors, and the radio will need it's anti theft code reentered. Resetting all the monitors with this car too close to inspection means it wont be ready for inspection and thus will fail and get a red sticker. It takes months for this car to go ready so i may have to drive for 3 months after it failed inspection to get the monitors ready again. It's BS really.

I was able to find the problem this time with the random stalling but only after three weeks of tracing out the circuit of the fuel pump relay to find out how the circuit worked and what was wrong. Oh yeah, the fuel pump relay is not just a relay it's a special circuit that controls the actual physical relay inside (with coil and all). It has to detect a certain signal from the ECU or else it shuts off. That's where i found the bad capacitor 100uf 16v and also changed out the 22uf cap they were both electrolytics. Some people just swap out the relay which costs $65 USD BTW where a relay from the past would be maybe $5 to $10 USD. That's how everything is with this car.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Ok but only if you show me where i said that. I said that was part of the problem didnt i? If not i appologize for the misstatement.

But i dare you to tell me you dont believe that the EV energy demand will go up as sales increase :)
Um, I recall this gem...
I do have verification that EV charging is becoming a big factor...
also, again note that total demand for electricity has fallen since 2008 when plug-in EVs started trickling into the market. Also, no expert has blamed rising demand for electricity (which would be dumb since total demand is falling or just too old of infrastructure.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Oh that's interesting. What kind of rodents, cause we have those critters around here too.
I squirrels, chipmunks, mice, take your pick. We used to park under a carport separated from the house, backing onto woods. Now we have added on a garage, so hoping this won’t be a problem in the future.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Um, I recall this gem...

also, again note that total demand for electricity has fallen since 2008 when plug-in EVs started trickling into the market. Also, no expert has blamed rising demand for electricity (which would be dumb since total demand is falling or just too old of infrastructure.
Ok if you say so, but that's not my impression from what i have read.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Ok if you say so, but that's not my impression from what i have read.
Ok, maybe you need to read other sources. Data is widely available. PG&E has quarterly reports and, earnings calls. California prosecutors give updates on the criminal charges against PG&E and california state congressional hearings publish the meeting minutes and transcripts. Even monthly concumption by county back to 2004 is available. It's just data.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Ok, maybe you need to read other sources. Data is widely available. PG&E has quarterly reports and, earnings calls. California prosecutors give updates on the criminal charges against PG&E and california state congressional hearings publish the meeting minutes and transcripts. Even monthly concumption by county back to 2004 is available. It's just data.
Ok so then we have conflicting reports. Nothing new there i guess after all it is California :)
Thanks for your input on this.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I guess Facebook opinions disagree with my multiple data sources.
Facebook opinions? Where did that come from :)
If i get a chance i'll search for the info i read but it was some time ago probably up to 6 months ago so i dont remember where i read about this and other issues with CA too.
I remember one where they knocked down a seawater-to-drinking-water plant that would have helped their water shortage problems. They were worried about the sea creatures being harmed.

One thing i do like about CA and that is some places have underground wiring, well at least in the place i visit now and then in LA. It's really beautiful to walk down the street and not see any telephone poles clouding up the scenery. It looks almost unreal like something in a fairy tale. All the houses are fairly new and well kept too.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I remember one where they knocked down a seawater-to-drinking-water plant that would have helped their water shortage problems. They were worried about the sea creatures being harmed.
I'd love to see a reference on that. Desalination is not a very good option for other reasons. For one, it uses a lot of energy.

Desalination

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
There has been at least one new way of doing it i cant remember the name but you can look it up. It's more economical also.

But as to the CA and EV's, they just approved a 1 billion dollar charging project for EV's mostly trucks. They intend to go totally electric not sure if you read that or not.
Now why would they need a project like that :)