Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wow this thread got off on a weird tangent :)

But i told a friend a joke the other day based on self driving cars and just to lighten up the mood here a little...

#1. How did the turtle win the race against the hare (hare like a large rabbit)?
The hare got ran over by a self driving car.

#2. Bumper sticker on the back of a self driving car:
"I brake for some things"
We just drove 3000+ miles so reliable driver assist beyond normal cruise control would be nice but full self-driving IMO would have been redundant (you still need to be strapped in that tiring seat when the official speed limit is 70+ mph or 0 mph when stuck in traffic) with anything including full level 5. Level 5 is something that nobody has today or is expected to have in the near future.

PXL_20210719_001517534.jpg

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
We just drove 3000+ miles so reliable driver assist beyond normal cruise control would be nice but full self-driving IMO would have been redundant (you still need to be strapped in that tiring seat when the official speed limit is 70+ mph or 0 mph when stuck in traffic) with anything including full level 5. Level 5 is something that nobody has today or is expected to have in the near future.

View attachment 244326
Wow 3000 miles of driving, havent you ever heard of a jet airliner (ha ha just kidding, and we know there are issues with that route too).

I dont think i could drive 3000 miles even if i took two weeks to do it. The farthest i ever had to drive in one shot was about 500 miles or so from NJ to Mass to attend school there, but i was much younger. Came home on most weekends. When i go back and forth from NJ to LA (also about 3000 miles) i must fly it would be nuts foe me to try anything else, although i did think about a train trip.

I was trying to figure out what road that was in the pic, but i guess i never saw that one. While in Los Angeles back in January one road the taxi guy took was a major highway and i noticed several unique signs. A few days later there was a movie or something on TV where they were driving the same road and passed one of those unique signs. I thought that was funny.

Yeah that would be really amazing if we had a self driving car that could drive the whole distance and stop for gas when needed, we could sleep in the back seat :)

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Had a guy here on the GA coast that would load his family up and tag team drive non-stop to Los Angeles CA in about 2 1/2 days. No motels, no restaurants, gas stops and fast food the whole way. Then do it again coming back in about a week after a few days there. Here to Pittsburg is about my limit and that is only 750 miles and includes at least one restaurant stop and we stay at least a week there. Did the train with a compartment and dining from Savannah GA to Seattle and back a few years ago and swore I'll never ride another train. They got a whole lot smaller than when I used to ride them back in the 50's or so it seems.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I was trying to figure out what road that was in the pic, but i guess i never saw that one. While in Los Angeles back in January one road the taxi guy took was a major highway and i noticed several unique signs. A few days later there was a movie or something on TV where they were driving the same road and passed one of those unique signs. I thought that was funny.
I-8 Imperial Valley heading to San Diego from Las Vegas.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
All by someone posting an inappropriate political picture, as one of his first posts back from vacation. But I am envious of him doing it. :)
Stop the political nonsense (this is why you get banned over and over), this is getting repetitious and redundant.

The picture was not political or posted as a gun control statement. It was a post as an stark example of possible AI responses and time constraints that needs to be considered for each of them.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I-8 Imperial Valley heading to San Diego from Las Vegas.
Oh ok thanks. I was only as close to that as about 300 miles i think farther north so i never would have encountered that road. I thought i may have at least crossed it at one point but it is too far south for the locations i happened to be at.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yikes that is scary. That's a huge error if you ask me because it shows that the AI involved can be easily fooled.
I have to wonder how Dominic's Pizza is doing it with driverless deliveries.
The cynic in me says that people will learn they can stand in front if it and have a friend steal the pizzas.

Bob

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The cynic in me says that people will learn they can stand in front if it and have a friend steal the pizzas.

Bob
That's an interesting idea too but what i was thinking about was how does the car actually get to the house with no problems on a regular basis. That's what i have to wonder about.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That's an interesting idea too but what i was thinking about was how does the car actually get to the house with no problems on a regular basis. That's what i have to wonder about.
It's a lot less about a general driver-less AI and more about mapping routes that the trike follows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/10/sel...like-elon-musk-more-dominos-pizza-robots.html
The REV-1 “trikes” stand 4.5 feet tall and weigh 150 pounds, making their profile more like bicycle couriers than delivery vans. And they act like cyclists too. After a restaurant worker places the “payload” in a REV-1′s storage compartment (which fits about six grocery bags), the robot uses an array of sensors to navigate to the edge of the road, or, if available, a bike lane. It then drives away at no more than 15 miles per hour toward its destination, where the customer greets it at the curb and unlocks their meal or package with a unique code.

If the vehicle runs into trouble along the way, which could include unusual obstacles like a curbed couch, or common but tricky-to-automate moves like turning left across traffic or navigating crosswalks, a dozen “pilots” are standing by to remotely and temporarily take control of the REV-1.
Ashley Nunes, a transportation research fellow at Harvard Law School, says that driverless vehicles might supplement current ride hailing and delivery services in places like densely packed urban areas with mild weather. But he suspects the harsh economics of competition with personal vehicle ownership will challenge the truly transformational benefits. He points out that all self-driving fleets require oversight, whether in the form of remote pilots or a fleet response team, and that the price of this human labor limits how affordable the vehicles can become.

″‘Autonomous’ or ‘driverless’ does not mean ‘humanless,’” he says.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It's a lot less about a general driver-less AI and more about mapping routes that the trike follows.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/10/sel...like-elon-musk-more-dominos-pizza-robots.html
Well i see what they are up to now, they are not completely autonomous. If an unusual situation comes up a real life driver takes control from a control room somewhere. That makes it different and i would think more safe along with the relatively turtle slow speed of 15mph. So 20 minutes for 5 miles. I guess that is reasonable.
It still has to navigate road crossings and the like though that should be interesting.

I just hope the big companies like Tesla have a backup plan, plan B (hire monkeys to drive ha ha ).

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well i see what they are up to now, they are not completely autonomous. If an unusual situation comes up a real life driver takes control from a control room somewhere. That makes it different and i would think more safe along with the relatively turtle slow speed of 15mph. So 20 minutes for 5 miles. I guess that is reasonable.
It still has to navigate road crossings and the like though that should be interesting.

I just hope the big companies like Tesla have a backup plan, plan B (hire monkeys to drive ha ha ).
Tesla does have a backup plan. Tesla isn’t capable of 100% self-driving service unmonitored by a human so they have a spy camera in every car connected to a monitor center.

This doesn't seem to make driving safer or even less stressful.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Tesla does have a backup plan. Tesla isn’t capable of 100% self-driving service unmonitored by a human so they have a spy camera in every car connected to a monitor center.

This doesn't seem to make driving safer or even less stressful.
Ok that's interesting, but now i have to wonder how they can manage thousands of cars on the road during any given day.. I can see the monitoring no problem there, but what do they do if ten thousand cars need assistance all at the same time.

Maybe that "self driving driving school" idea is a good one, where the programs will share information over all or most autonomous vehicles thus improving the algorithms over time. It has to be a machine learning mechanism i think because there are just too many novel situations to be able to program all that in one shot.

Oh hey maybe a solution is to build a giant "Roomba" where when the vehicle bumps into something it turns :)

Seriously though this is a difficult problem to solve and i think it is possible that we can never foresee every single thing that can happen on the road. What i fear is that the number of things that can happen exceeds any reasonable amount of program space to store. Could it even be that this is an impossible task to get right all the time. Wouldnt it be something if it was proved that the vehicle 'brains' would have to be capable of actual 'thought' similar to a human's ability to think in order to function with perfect execution for every possible scenario. Is it even possible then, maybe this is "logically impossible" and so there will always be at least some accidents at some times. We may end up proving that accidents are an unavoidable consequence of traveling vehicles.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Wow! You mean to say they will soon be rising up into the air before heading where they are to go? That really is amazing.
they probably will ... flying cars are the new, new thing (they practically rose from the dead in the last decade) ... and it's ironic to think that it's far easier to automate a flying craft than an automobile.