Will we see a real self driving car in our life time?

Discussion in 'General Science' started by spinnaker, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    As I posted in another thread on this topic, I personally witnessed a near miss with a GM Cruise self driving car right in my neighborhood.

The car stopped at a 4 way stop and a pedestrian started walking across the street on opposite side of the intersection. However, as the pedestrian got to the center of the street, the car proceeded right toward her and stopped about 3 feet away. The distance from the car to the pedestrian was so close I suspect the control system failed and human driver had to do a manual over ride.

2. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  3. RichardO

May 4, 2013
  4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Autopilot lane following fail but it would fool a lot of human drivers too.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    Near me, the lanes have been rerouted for construction. One lane has been closed and the remaining lanes do a jog -- in the middle of the intersection. :eek:

I have seen drivers drive straight through the jog. In fact, I have done the same. Scary in retrospect since I was on a bicycle at the time and very vulnerable.

edit: Added pictures of the intersection and some comments.

If you look closely at the picture with the empty intersection, you can see the lane markers doing a jog to the left in the middle of the intersection. Note that some of the confusion is that this is a two-way street changing to a one-way street at the intersection.

In the picture with the truck, it is likely that the driver will likely go straight through instead of following the jog. This cuts off any driver to the right of the truck that is following the jog.

So, what would a self-driving car do here? Probably no better or worse than the drivers I have observed. :(:eek:

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    -live wire- likes this.
  6. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-advisory-nhtsa-deems-autopilot-buddy-product-unsafe

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  8. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    This whole self driving car hoax is mostly due to the government (DARPA) providing big $$$ in funding for research for something that private investors won't touch with a 10 foot pole. Get rid of all the government money and you won't hear anymore about companies developing self driving cars. The same thing will happen with Tesla's battery powered cars that haven't turned a dime in profit.

9. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    And "renewable" energy.

10. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I've seen solar panels installed on government buildings in San Francisco that have cloudy weather at least 50% of the year and that includes the summer months when the sun is closest to being overhead.

I recall that Elon Musk owned Solar City which may have gone belly up.

-live wire- likes this.
  11. Sonoran Desert Tortoise

Oct 30, 2014
    Um, no. Musk reorganized the 16000 employee company As a division of Tesla - it s still successfully installing and servicing solar power systems across the Southwest.

12. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  13. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Are you forgetting it is government money that was responsible for the coal, gas and petroleum industry, ~100 years ago(and most of the subsides are still being paid today). Not to mention all of the farm subsides that get paid.

14. BR-549

Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    shortbus.....a super good read is the history of coal and kerosene.

shortbus likes this.
  15. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-car-faces-reality/

16. -live wire-

Dec 22, 2017
    "Will we see a self-driving car in our lifetime?"
    How old are you, and how long do you plan to live? ;)

17. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I think I'm missing something. What's screwy about it. I see a right turn lane with the big painted right turn arrow and then I see the corner markers denoting the parking spots along the curb.

18. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    I don't remember why I thought it was screwy. :( I will have to look again and get back to you...

19. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I saw another embarrassing incident with a GM Cruise "self driving car" today.

The test drivers stop by the supermarket where I shop and one of their test cars was parked in a space just like the ordinary cars. However, when the car backed out, I noticed one of the test drivers was standing in back of the car giving hand signals like there was a student driver at the wheel.

So these purported self driving cars aren't capable of even backing out of a space in a parking lot? I believe the public is really getting hornswaggled on the progress of this technology. o_O

20. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I believe the $7000 tax credit for buying an EV is about to expire. That will be another nail in the coffin for Tesla which doesn't have a conventional car line to fall back on when the market for EVs dries up.

Also, Jerry Brown (governor of Calif.) signed a bill that would hand out a $100 Million in tax credits for installing solar panels. The whole economy of California is dangerously dependent on government money for essentially useless industries and another depression (worse than 2008) is about ready to erupt.